Developing Supply Chain Risk Mitigation Strategies
In this chapter, the different types of potential risks in supply chains are described and the specific impacts of natural disasters such as the Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami on Japanese supply chains are outlined. Moreover, some strategies and developments on how to mitigate supply chain disruptions are presented.
This work was supported by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C), 16K01257.
- Chiu, Y. T. (2011) How Japan’s earthquake is shaking up Taiwan’s high-tech sector. IEEE Spectrum. Available at http://spectrum.ieee.org/semiconductors/memory/how-japans-earthquake-is-shaking-up-taiwans-hightech-sector. Last accessed on December 10, 2016.
- Fujitsu. (2007). Fujitsu enhances business continuity management in procurement. Available at http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2007/0821-01.html. Last accessed on December 10, 2016.
- Fujitsu. (2013). ‘SCRKeeper,’ Japan’s first cloud-based supply chain risk management service. Available at http://jp.fujitsu.com/solutions/cloud/saas/application/scrkeeper/en/. Last accessed on November 2, 2015.
- Inagaki, M., & Kuroda, K. (2007). Supply chain management in Japan. Supply and Demand Chain Executive, 8(3), 68.Google Scholar
- Japanbullet. (2013). Fujitsu launches Scrkeeper Japan first cloud—Based supply chain risk management service. Available at http://www.japanbullet.com/technology/fujitsu-launches-scrkeeper-japan-first-cloud-based-supply-chain-risk-management-service. Last accessed on December 10, 2016.
- Khojasteh, Y., & Abdi, M. R. (2016). Japanese supply chain management, In P. Haghirian (Ed.), Routledge handbook of japanese business and management, UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Mason-Jones, R., & Towill, D. R. (1998). Shrinking the supply chain uncertainty circle. Control, 24(7), 17–22.Google Scholar
- Mojonnier, T. (2011). Reducing risk in the automotive supply chain. Business Theory. Available at http://businesstheory.com/reducing-risk-automotive-supply-chain-2/. Accessed on December 15, 2016.
- Ohnsman, A., McCombs, D., & Edwards, C. (2011). Toyota, Sony disruptions may last weeks after Japan earthquake. Bloomberg Business. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2011-03-19/toyota-sony-disruptions-may-last-weeks-after-japan-quake-power-shortages (March 20, 2011).
- Sanchanta, M. (2011), Chemical reaction: iPod is short key material. The Wall Street Journal. Available at https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704471904576228390400576486. Accessed on December 15, 2016.
- Waters, D. (2007). Supply chain risk management: Vulnerability and resilience in logistics. London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar