SAFER: A Context-Aware Ubiquitous Assistance Platform for Elderly Care
We present the SAFER platform, a ubiquitous and smart assistance platform for elderly care. The idea is to provide, in an integrated way, a set of smart and context-aware services that improve the quality of life and social integration of elderly. This paper shows the design of the platform from the lowest levels for sensing health parameters of elderly and their location, up to the highest level of smart assistance services. Furthermore, we describe a smart health services for detection of falls and assistance to elderly, as an example of application of our platform that we are already experimenting with.
KeywordsSmart Health Ubiquitous Health Healthcare Pervasive Elderly Care Assistance Services
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Skouby Knud Erik, Kivimäki Anri, Haukiputo Lotta, Lynggaard Per, Windekilde Iwona Maria. Smart Cities and the Ageing Population 2014.Google Scholar
- 2.Zhou Jiehan, Sun Junzhao, Athukorala Kumaripaba, Wijekoon Dinesh, Ylianttila Mika. Pervasive Social Computing: augmenting five facets of human intelligence Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing. 2012;3:153–166.Google Scholar
- 3.Mann W. C., Helal S.. Pervasive computing research on aging, disability and independence in Applications and the Internet Workshops, 2004. SAINT 2004 Workshops. 2004 International Symposium on:244-246 2004.Google Scholar
- 4.Kötteritzsch Anna, Weyers Benjamin. Assistive Technologies for Older Adults in Urban Areas: A Literature Review Cognitive Computation. 2016;8:299–317.Google Scholar
- 5.Pires Pedro, Mendes Luís, Mendes Jorge, Rodrigues Rúben, Pereira António. Integrated e-Healthcare System for Elderly Support Cognitive Computation. 2016;8:368–384.Google Scholar
- 6.Hossain M Anwar, Alamri Atif, Almogren Ahmad S, Hossain SK, Parra Jorge. A framework for a context-aware elderly entertainment support system Sensors. 2014;14:10538–10561.Google Scholar
- 7.Dinh Hoang T., Lee Chonho, Niyato Dusit, Wang Ping. A survey of mobile cloud computing: architecture, applications, and approaches Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing. 2013;13:1587–1611.Google Scholar
- 8.Kau L. J., Chen C. S.. A Smart Phone-Based Pocket Fall Accident Detection, Positioning, and Rescue System IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2015;19:44-56.Google Scholar
- 9.Want R.. Enabling ubiquitous sensing with RFID Computer. 2004;37:84-86.Google Scholar