Developing a 3D Routing Instruction Engine for Indoor Environment
The need for 3D visualization and navigation within 3D-GIS environment is increasingly growing and spreading to various fields. When we consider current navigation systems, most of them are still in 2D environment that is insufficient to realize 3D objects and obtain satisfactory solutions for 3D environment. For realizing such a 3D navigation system we need to solve complex 3D network analysis. The objective of this paper is to investigate and implement 3D visualization and navigation techniques and develop 3D routing instruction engine for indoor spaces within 3D-GIS. As an initial step and as for implementation a Graphical User Interface provides 3D visualization based on CityGML data, stores spatial data in a Geo-Database and then performs complex network analysis. By using developed engine, the GUI also provides a routing simulation on a calculated shortest path with voice commands and visualized instructions.
Keywords3D-GIS Network analysis Visualization Navigation
This study was supported by Karabuk University BAP Unit and TUBITAK - The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (Project No: 112Y050) research grant. We are indebted for their financial support.
- 1.Cutter, S., Richardson, D.B., Wilbanks, T.J. (eds.): The Geographical Dimensions of Terrorism, pp. 75–117. Routledge, New York, London (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Karas, I.R.: Objelerin Topolojik İlişkilerinin 3B CBS ve Ağ Analizi Kapsamında Değerlendirilmesi. Ph.D. thesis, YTÜ FBE Jeodezi ve Fotogrametri Anabilim Dalı Uzaktan Algılama ve CBS, pp. 99–101 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Musliman, I.A., Rahman, A.A.: Implementing 3D network analysis in 3D GIS. In: International Archives of ISPRS, vol. 37, Part B, Comm. 4/4, Beijing, China (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Musliman, I.A., Rahman, A.A., Coors, V.: 3D navigation for 3D-GIS — initial requirements. In: Abdul-Rahman, A., Zlatanova, S., Coors, V. (eds.) Innovations in 3D Geo Information Systems, pp. 125–134. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.OGC: City Geography Markup Language (CityGML) Encoding Standard. Open Geospatial Consortium Inc. (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Serbetci, M., Atasoy, V.: Jeodezik Hesap (Survey Computations), Trabzon, Turkey, pp. 72–78. Karadeniz Technical University Publications, Trabzon (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Zlatanova, S., van Oosterom, P., Verbree, E.: 3D technology for improving disaster management: geo-DBMS and positioning. In: Proceedings of the XXth ISPRS Congress, Istanbul, Turkey (2004)Google Scholar