Optical Generation of Subcarrier Multiplexed (SCM) Millimeter Wave Signal and Its Application in Radio Over Fiber System
Millimeter-wave radio over fiber is an attractive scheme which is widely used in broadband wireless communication system. In this paper, a scheme for the optical generation of subcarrier multiplexed (SCM) millimeter wave signal is proposed. In SCM, each RF carrier is modulated by the baseband signal. A group of baseband modulated subcarriers modulate the intensity of an optical carrier. The components required for the scheme consists of an optical pulse source, a WDM demultiplexer, two laser diodes, a photodiode and optical couplers. Two lightwaves are selected from the optical pulse source whose frequency difference is equal to the frequency of the desired mm wave signal. When two lightwaves, one intensity modulated by the SCM signals and the other CW lightwave, are combined and fed to the input of a wideband photodiode, the subcarrier multiplexed millimeter wave signal is generated. The two lightwaves are made phase coherent through optical injection locking of laser diodes. The novelty of the scheme is that no intermodulation distortions (IMD) are produced at the output. The generated mm wave modulated by the SCM signal can be radiated by an antenna over a base station. The phase noise of the generated mm wave signal is also very low in this scheme. No reference low noise mm-wave source is required in this scheme.
- 1.J. Li, T. Ning, L. Pei and C. Qi, “Scheme for high capacity 60 GHz Radio-over-Fiber Transmission System”, J. of Opt. Commun. Netw., 1(4), 324–330 (2009).Google Scholar
- 2.M. Bhattacharya, B. Sarkar and T. Chattopadhyay, “Subcarrier-multiplexed fiber-optic mm-wave radio using sideband injection locking of semiconductor lasers”, Proceedings of International conference ICOCN 2002, Singapore, 11–14 Nov (2002).Google Scholar
- 3.A.K. Vyas, Dr. N. Agarwal, “Radio over Fiber: Future Technology of Communication”, IJETTCS, 1(2), 233–237(2012).Google Scholar
- 4.J. Yao, “Microwave Photonics”, IEEE J. Lightwave Technology, 27(3), 314–335 (2009).Google Scholar
- 5.J. Yu, Z. Jia, T. Wang and G. Chang, “A novel radio-over-fiber configuration using optical phase modulator to generate an optical mm-wave and centralized lightwave for uplink version”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 19(3), 140–142, (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.M. Bhattacharya, R. Mukherjee and T. Chattopadhyay, “Reduction of frequency chirping in semiconductor lasers through injection locking”, IETE Journal of Research, 45 (5–6), 1999.Google Scholar