Solar Holography—A Potential High Efficiency Green Energy Solution
Two impediments that acted globally against the progress and popularity of solar electricity were low efficiency and high price of traditional Silicon photovoltaic (PV) panels. Though mass manufacturing and large scale competition between manufacturers have resulted in per Watt price of about 0.3–0.5 USD, low efficiency of these panels still remains as a major hurdle. Concentrator Photovoltaics (CPV) with spectral splitting ability gained worldwide research interest during the recent decades. This paper presents an overview of activities in this highly emerging green energy avenue, some of our work and future design possibilities of relevance.
Partial financial support from the Board of Research in Fusion Science and Technology (BRFST), Government of India, is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Ludman. J.E, “Holographic solar concentrator,” Appl. Optics 21, 3057–3058 (1982).Google Scholar
- 2.Bloss, W.H., Griesinger, M., Reinhardt, E.R., “Dispersive concentrating systems based on transmission phase holograms for solar applications”, Proc. of 16th IEEE photovoltaic specialist conference, San Diego, Sept, New York, CA, USA, 463, (1982).Google Scholar
- 3.Zhang, Y.W, Ih. C.S, Yan. H. F and M. J. Chang, “Photovoltaic concentrator using a holographic optical element,” Appl. Optics, 27, 3556–3560 (1988).Google Scholar
- 4.Abhijit Ghosh, R. Ranajan, A.K. Nirala, and H.L. Yadav, Design and analysis of wavelength selective wide acceptance angle holographic concentrator for PV application, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Renewable Energy Sources 17, Malaysia (2013).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Chemisana. D, Collados. M.V, Quintanilla. M, and Atencia. J, “Holographic lenses for building integrated concentrating photovoltaics,” Appl. Energ. 110, 227–235 (2013).Google Scholar
- 6.T. L. Shaji Sam, P. T. Ajith Kumar et al, “A multi-beam holographic light concentrator for solar applications,” Proc. SPIE 6832, 68321E (2007).Google Scholar
- 7.Raymond K. Kostuk et. al, Holographic Applications in Solar-Energy-Conversion Processes, SPIE, Vol.: SL13, April 2016.Google Scholar
- 8.Thomas. N.D. Tibbits et. al, New Efficiency frontiers with wafer- bonded multi-junction solar cells, 29th European PV Solar Energy Conference, The Netherlands, 2014.Google Scholar
- 9.Juanita R. Riccobono and Jacques E. Ludman, The Art and Science of Holography - A Tribute to Emmett Leith and Yuri Denisyuk, Editor - H. John Caulfield, Chapter 18. 291, SPIE PRESS, The International Society for Optical Engineering (2003).Google Scholar
- 10.Jacques Ludman H. John Caulfield, Juanita Riccobono – Editors, Holography for the New Millennium, Chapter 7, 157, Springer, (2002).Google Scholar
- 11.G. Bianco et. al, Photopolymer-based volume holographic optical elements: design and possible applications, J. Eur. Opt. Soc.-Rapid 10, 15057 (2015).Google Scholar
- 12.And Prism Solar Technologies technical documentation, link: http://prismsolar.com/pdf/hb180ul.pdf, USA and US Patent No. US 20100186818-Holographic solar concentrator, 2009.