Tools and Practices
In recent years, along with the rapid development of the GNSS (global navigation satellite system), cellular network, and IoT (Internet of things), vehicle networking has entered into a wireless interconnected and intelligent era that makes remote-operating vehicles or sharing information convenient. However, the vehicle wireless networks connected to physical components of vehicles make it possible for hackers to engage in wireless sabotage. This chapter presents various vulnerable physical components, reactions from government and industry against the cyber-attacks, attacking tools, attacking practices, and some mitigation strategies.
KeywordsVehicle networking Cyber-attack tools Cyber-attack practices
- 1.Gartner Says By 2020. A quarter billion connected vehicles will enable new in-vehicle services and automated driving capabilities, 2016-10-25. http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2970017.
- 2.IEEE 802.11p-2010 (2010). IEEE standard for information technology—Local and metropolitan area networks—Specific requirements—Part 11: Wireless LAN medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications amendment 6: Wireless access in vehicular environments.Google Scholar
- 3.Intel launches automotive security review board to ensure cybersecurity of cars, 17 Sept 2015.Google Scholar
- 4.Intel automotive security research workshops—Summary of findings. https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/automotive-security-research-workshops-summary.pdf.
- 5.OBD-II Background. http://www.obdii.com/background.html.
- 6.Automotive security review board. https://asrb.org/.
- 7.Automotive cybersecurity best practices white paper. http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/white-papers/wp-automotive-security.pdf.
- 8.McCarthy, C., Harnett, K., Carter, A., Hatipoglu, C. Assessment of the information sharing and analysis center model. https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2014/812076-AssessInfoSharingModel.pdf.
- 9.McCarthy, C., Harnett, K., Carter, A. A summary of cybersecurity best practices. https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2014/812075_CybersecurityBestPractices.pdf.
- 10.McCarthy, C., Harnett, K., Carter, A. Characterization of potential security threats in modern automobiles: A composite modeling approach. https://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NVS/Crash%20Avoidance/Technical%20Publications/2014/812074_Characterization_PotentialThreatsAutos(1).pdf.
- 11.National Institute of Standards and Technology Cybersecurity Risk Management Framework Applied to Modern Vehicles.Google Scholar
- 12.Senators propose bill to tighten vehicle security, privacy standards. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2950520/data-privacy/senators-propose-bill-to-tighten-vehicle-security-privacy-standards.html.
- 13.A BILL To protect consumers from security and privacy threats to their motor vehicles, and for other purposes. http://www.markey.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/SPY%20Car%20legislation.pdf.
- 14.Carwall—Autonomous security for autonomous and connected cars. https://www.karambasecurity.com/product.
- 15.Vector solutions for CAN and CAN FD. http://vector.com/vi_can_solutions_en.html.
- 16.PRODUCTS: 3 + 1 cyber security protection framework—FUSE. http://www.visualthreat.com/UIproducts.action.
- 17.Evenchick, E. CANtact. http://www.evenchick.com/post/cantact/.
- 18.Evenchick, E. An introduction to the CANard toolkit. http://blackhat.com/docs/asia-15/materials/asia-15-Evenchick-Hopping-On-The-Can-Bus-wp.pdf.
- 19.Anatomy of the RollJam Wireless Car Hack. http://makezine.com/2015/08/11/anatomy-of-the-rolljam-wireless-car-hack/.
- 20.OwnStar—Hacking cars with OnStar to locate, unlock and remote start vehicles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3olXUbS-prU.
- 21.Hacker shows he can locate, unlock and remote start GM vehicles. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2954668/telematics/hacker-shows-he-can-locate-unlock-and-remote-start-gm-vehicles.html.
- 22.Hackers remotely kill a jeep on the highway—With me in it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK0SrxBC1xs.
- 23.Hacker: ‘Hundreds of thousands’ of vehicles are at risk of attack. http://www.computerworld.com/article/2951489/telematics/hacker-hundreds-of-thousands-of-vehicles-are-at-risk-of-attack.html.