University Social Responsibility: Conceptualization and an Assessment Framework
This chapter presents a systematic review of the evolution and current status of the University Social Responsibility (USR) concept. USR advances that universities should go beyond the core functions of teaching, research, and service and voluntarily act beyond legal requirements to promote the public good and environmental sustainability. There is a growing recognition that USR should be integrated with university strategy and operation practices. Thus, we propose a Values, Process and Impact (VPI) conceptual model and formulate a USR performance assessment framework based on a stakeholder perspective. This assessment framework provides a methodology for constructing a USR index that would rate and benchmark universities, as well as promote USR as a management model. Further, the USR performance assessment framework can be utilized as a management tool to further universities’ USR efforts to achieve triple-bottom-line sustainability.
KeywordsUniversity social responsibility (USR) USR index Conceptual framework Assessment Social engagement
- ACUPCC (American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment). http://ecoamerica.org/programs/american-college-university-presidents-climate-commitment/. Accessed June 16, 2016.
- Allen, A. (1999). Institutional change and leadership in greening the campus. In W. L. Filho (Ed.), Sustainability and university life: Environmental education, communication and sustainability (pp. 105–128). Berlin: Peter Lang Scientific Publishers.Google Scholar
- Alzyoud, S. A., & Bani-Hani, K. (2015). Social responsibility in higher education institutions: Application case from the Middle East. European Scientific Journal, 11(8), 122–129.Google Scholar
- Backman, J. (1975). Social responsibility and accountability. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Bok, D. C. (2003). Universities in the marketplace: The commercialization of higher education. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Bok, D. C. (1982). Beyond the ivory tower: Social responsibilities of the modern university. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Carroll, A. B. (1979). A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance. Academy of Management Review, 4(4), 497–505.Google Scholar
- Chen, S.-H., Nasongkhla, J., & Donaldson, J. A. (2015). University social responsibility (USR): Identifying an ethical foundation within higher education institutions. TOJET: The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 14(4), 165–172.Google Scholar
- Clugston, R. M., & Calder, W. (1999). Critical dimensions of sustainability in higher education. Sustainability and University Life, 5, 31–46.Google Scholar
- Cole, L., & Wright, T. (2003). Assessing sustainability on Canadian university campuses: Development of a campus sustainability assessment framework. Unpublished master’s thesis, Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC.Google Scholar
- Dima, A. M., Vasilache, S., Ghinea, V., & Agoston, S. (2013). A model of academic social responsibility. Transylvanian Review of Administrative Sciences, 9(38), 23–43.Google Scholar
- Elkington, J. (2001). The triple bottom line for 21st century business. In R. Welford & R. Starkey (Eds.), The Earthscan reader in business and sustainable development (pp. 20–43). London: Earthscan Publications.Google Scholar
- Freeman, R. E. (1984). Strategic management: A stakeholder perspective. Boston: Pitman.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. (1970). The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits. New York Times Magazine, 13(32–33), 122–126.Google Scholar
- Jónasson, J. T. (2008). Inventing tomorrow’s university: Who is to take the lead?. Bologna, IT: Bononia University Press.Google Scholar
- Lindqvist, M. (2012). The roles of universities in regional development. http://www.nordregio.se/en/Metameny/Nordregio-News/2012/Issue-22012/The-Roles-of-Universities-in-Regional-Development/. Accessed May 15, 2016.
- Maslen, G. (2012). Worldwide student numbers forecast to double by 2025. University World News, 209. http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20120216105739999. Accessed September 19, 2016.
- Manne, H. G., & Wallich, H. C. (1972). The modern corporation and social responsibility. Washington DC: American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research.Google Scholar
- McGuire, J. W. (1963). Business and society. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Mohamed, A. T. E. (2015). A framework for university social responsibility and sustainability: the case of south valley university, Egypt. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering, 9(7), 2370–2379.Google Scholar
- Muijen, H. S. (2004). Corporate social responsibility starts at university. Journal of Business Ethics, 53(1–2), 235–246.Google Scholar
- Reiser, J. (2008). University Social Responsibility definition. http://www.usralliance.org/resources/Aurilla_Presentation_Session6.pdf. Accessed March 25, 2016.
- Sawasdikosol, S. (2009). Driving universities’ collaboration toward the new era of sustainable social responsibility. Paper presented at the University-Community Engagement Conference Penang, Malaysia.Google Scholar
- STARS. Reporting process. https://stars.aashe.org/pages/participate/reporting-process.html. Accessed July 25, 2016.
- Suchman, M. C. (1995). Managing legitimacy: Strategic and institutional approaches. Academy of Management Review, 20(3), 571–610.Google Scholar
- The Economist. (2014). Massive open online forces. http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21595901-rise-online-instruction-will-upend-economics-higher-education-massive. Accessed May 15, 2016.
- UNESCO World Conference on Higher Education. (1998). Higher education in the twenty-first century: Vision and action. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0011/001163/116345e.pdf Accessed July 25, 2016.
- US Fed News Service (2010). Social responsibility should be part of a country’s overall development strategy. https://www.highbeam.com/publications/us-fed-news-service-including-us-state-news-p138798. Accessed on July 16, 2016.
- Vallaeys, F., De La Cruz, C., & Sasia, P. M. (2009). Responsabilidad Social Universitaria, Manual de Primeros Pasos. McGrawHill: Mexico D.F.Google Scholar
- Vasquez, J. M. G., Alequin, B. M., & Vadi, J. C. (2014). University social responsibility: A social transformation of learning, teaching, research, and innovation. http://quest.uprrp.edu/Quest_files/ProceedingsQ9/Concurrent_session_VIII/university_social_responsibility.pdf. Accessed September 19, 2016.
- Wood, D. J. (1991). Corporate social performance revisited. Academy of Management Review, 16(4), 691–718.Google Scholar