Optimal Phase Swapping in Low Voltage Distribution Networks Based on Smart Meter Data and Optimization Heuristics
In this paper a modified version of the Harmony Search algorithm is proposed as a novel tool for phase swapping in Low Voltage Distribution Networks where the objective is to determine to which phase each load should be connected in order to reduce the unbalance when all phases are added into the neutral conductor. Unbalanced loads deteriorate power quality and increase costs of investment and operation. A correct assignment is a direct, effective alternative to prevent voltage peaks and network outages. The main contribution of this paper is the proposal of an optimization model for allocating phases consumers according to their individual consumption in the network of low-voltage distribution considering mono and bi-phase connections using real hourly load patterns, which implies that the computational complexity of the defined combinatorial optimization problem is heavily increased. For this purpose a novel metric function is defined in the proposed scheme. The performance of the HS algorithm has been compared with classical Genetic Algorithm. Presented results show that HS outperforms GA not only on terms of quality but on the convergence rate, reducing the computational complexity of the proposed scheme while provide mono and bi phase connections.
KeywordsSmart meter Load curve Harmony search
This paper includes partial results of the UPGRID project. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 646.531), as well as by the Basque Government through the ELKARTEK programme (BID3A and BID3ABI projects). For further information check the website: http://upgrid.eu/.
- 7.Dolatdar, E., Soleymani, S., Mozafari, B.: A new distribution network reconfiguration approach using a tree model. World Acad. Sci. Eng. Technol. 58(34), 1186 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Bouchard, D., Chikhani, V., John, V., Salama, M.: Applications of hopfield neural networks to distribution feeder reconfiguration. In: International Forum on Applications of Neural Networks to Power Systems, pp. 311–316 (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Vulasala, G., Sirigiri, S., Thriruveedula, R.: Feeder reconfiguration for loss reduction in unbalanced distribution system using genetic algorithm. Int. J. Electr. Electron. Eng. 3(12), 754–762 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Lafortune, M., Bouchard, D., Morelli, J.: Phase swapping for distribution system using Tabu search. In: WSEAS International Conference on Energy Planning, Energy Saving, Environmental Education, pp. 67–71 (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Granada, M., Gallego, R., Lopez Lezama, J.M.: Optimal phase balancing planning for loss reduction in distribution systems using a specialized genetic algorithm. Ingenieria y Ciencia 8(15), 121–140 (2012)Google Scholar
- 21.Gil-Lopez, S., Del Ser, J., Landa, I., Garcia-Padrones, L., Salcedo-Sanz, S., Portilla-Figueras, J.A.: On the application of a novel grouping harmony search algorithm to the switch location problem. In: International Conference on Mobile Lightweight Wireless Systems, pp. 62–672 (2010)Google Scholar