The Extraction of TEM Response from Pseudo Random Binary Sequence Source EM Data
This paper presents a method for converting the full waveform electromagnetic response excited by the pseudo-random binary sequences (PRBS) into subsurface resistivity cross section, based on the recovery of the transient electromagnetic diffusion field. The impulse response of the earth is extracted from the full waveform data efficiently using the Wiener-Hopf equation. Then, the backward accumulation is used to obtain the step off response from the extracted earth impulse response. An OCCAM inversion routine, which incorporates the band limitation of the derived transient, is adopted to produce the geoelectric models. Finally, the method was applied to the experimental field data set, and the consistency between the recovered models and the geological condition verifies the validity of this method.
KeywordsTEM response Pseudo random Binary sequence Source EM data
This research was supported by R&D of Key Instruments and Technologies for Deep Resources Prospecting (the National R&D Projects for Key Scientific Instruments), Grant No. ZDYZ2012-1-05-04.
- 1.Danielsen, J.E., Auken, E., Jørgensen, F., Søndergaard, V., Sørensen, K.I., 2003. The application of the transient electromagnetic method in hydrogeophysical surveys. Journal of Applied Geophysics 53, 181–198.Google Scholar
- 2.Duncan, P., Hwang, A., Edwards, R., Bailey, R., Garland, G., 1980. The development and applications of a wide band electromagnetic sounding system using a pseudo-noise source. Geophysics 45, 1276–1296.Google Scholar
- 3.Effersø, F., Auken, E., Sørensen, K.I., 1999. Inversion of band-limited TEM responses. Geophysical Prospecting 47, 551–564.Google Scholar
- 4.Smith, R., 2014. Electromagnetic Induction Methods in Mining Geophysics from 2008 to 2012. Surveys in Geophysics 35, 123–156.Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, W.-d., Li, Z.-h., Gu, G.y., Ban, Y.h., Liu, Y.w., 2014. Application of dual frequency induced polarization in Caosiyao molybdenum deposit area, Inner Mongolia, Mineral Exploration, pp. 789–795.Google Scholar
- 6.Wright, D., Ziolkowski, A., Hobbs, B., 2002. Hydrocarbon detection and monitoring with a multicomponent transient electromagnetic (MTEM) survey. The Leading Edge 21, 852–864.Google Scholar
- 7.Ziolkowski, A., Hobbs, B.A., Wright, D., 2007. Multitransient electromagnetic demonstration survey in France. Geophysics 72, F197–F209.Google Scholar