Impact of Facebook’s Check-in Feature on Users of Social Networking Sites
Social media is infiltrating the planet. Facebook has been the leader in this industry for almost a decade. The social media sites have made many changes over the years regarding security and advertising that have frankly, miffed a lot of people. The paper mainly describes about the impact of Facebook Check-in feature. Also, a new feature is proposed- Check-in-Checker which is presently not yet introduced in Facebook. Check-in Checker is an extension of the existing Facebook feature check-in. It is a helpful tool to know who is going where and at what time. Also, popularity about a particular common place being visited by friends will increase. Data was gathered from 550 people who give their views about how they use Facebook. Also, their opinion is taken in account about the existing feature ‘Check-in’ provided by Facebook. Analyzing the data, the new feature Check-in Checker suits today’s demand and requirement of a user, to be added up in Facebook’s features list. This feature doesn’t violates any user’s privacy and holds good number of positive reasons to be there in the pool of Facebook’s exciting features.
KeywordsFacebook Social networking site Privacy Check-in
- 1.http://www.toptensocialmedia.com/social-media-Facebook/the-top-10-websites-like-Facebook/ [Accessed on: April, 2016].
- 2.http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474907,00.asp [Accessed on: April, 2016].
- 3.http://www.statista.com/statistics/264810/number-of-monthly-active-Facebook-users-worldwide/ [Accessed on: April, 2016].
- 4.http://www.vcpost.com/articles/27824/20140925/10-features-made-Facebook-used-social-media-site.htm [Accessed on: April, 2016].
- 5.http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/87185-progress-is-impossible-without-change-and-those-who-cannot-change [Accessed on: March, 2016].
- 6.http://www.danah.org/papers/FacebookPrivacyTrainwreck.pdf [Accessed on: Nov, 2015].
- 7.Sharma, Shilpi, and J. S. Sodhi. “Social Network Analysis & Information Disclosure: A Case Study.” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Computer, Electrical, Automation, Control and Information Engineering 9.2 (2015): 567–575.Google Scholar
- 8.https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/fulfillment-any-age/201411/what-lonely-people-seek-Facebook [Accessed on: Nov, 2015].
- 9.http://www.hardcorecloser.com/2013/01/the-benefits-of-using-Facebook-check-ins-for-your-business/ [Accessed on: Mar, 2016].
- 10.https://www.makemytrip.com/blog/top-5-reasons-people-check-facebook [Accessed on: April, 2016].
- 11.http://time.com/3950525/Facebook-news-feed-algorithm/ [Accessed on: Dec, 2015].
- 12.Devineni, Pravallika, et al. “If walls could talk: Patterns and anomalies in Facebook wallposts. “Proceedings of the 2015 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining 2015. ACM, 2015.Google Scholar
- 13.https://techcrunch.com/2014/04/17/facebook-nearby-friends/ [Accessed on: Jan, 2016].
- 14.Jones, Harvey, and José Hiram Soltren. “Facebook: Threats to privacy. “Project 0MAC: MIT Project on Mathematics and Computing 1 (2005): 1–76.Google Scholar