Design of a Compact Wideband Bow-Tie Dielectric Stacked Patch Antenna for Ku-Band Spectrum
The present communication gives the design of a compact patch antenna module to be functional from 12 to 18 GHz EM spectrum which is given the name Ku-band. The design of the antenna focuses the dielectric stacking approach. Base substrate is chosen FR4 dielectric and it consists of microstrip feed line and a partial ground plane on its top and bottom respectively, a dielectric material along with patch having bow-tie shape is stacked on the base substrate. The proposed antenna is designed and simulated using ANSYS HFSS. The FEM based simulations proven the −10 dB return loss criteria and the VSWR below 2.0 are satisfied for the proposed model under 12.07–19.11 GHz band. The geometrical aspects of this model ensures the wideband functionality of the antenna with a peak gain of 6.23 dB.
KeywordsDielectric stacking Bow-tie Ku-band HFSS
Authors would like to express their sincere gratitude to the Research Centre of Dept. of ECE and management of SIR C. R. Reddy College of Engineering, Eluru for providing the licensed 3D EM simulation software ANSYS HFSS ver17 and their esteemed guidance and support to the work.
- 1.Huang, Y., Boyle, K.: Antennas: from theory to practice. John Wiley & Sons, (2008).Google Scholar
- 2.Chowdary, P. S. R., Prasad, A. M., Rao, P. M., Anguera, J.: Design and performance study of Sierpinski fractal based patch antennas for multiband and miniaturization characteristics, In: Wireless Personal Communications, vol. 83 (3), 1713–1730. (2015).Google Scholar
- 3.Pathak, H. M., Pankaj C.: Stacked Modified Patch Antenna Comparison for Various Dielectric Material. In: International Conference on Machine Intelligence and Research Advancement (ICMIRA), pp. 162–166. Katra (2013).Google Scholar
- 4.Devraj, V., Ajayan, K. K., Baiju, M. R.: A Novel Optimization Technique for a Stacked Patch Antenna. In: Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, pp. 1–4. Bangkok (2007).Google Scholar
- 5.Venkateswara Rao, T., Sudhakar, A., Padma Raju, K.: Analysis of Notch in Microstrip Antenna. In: International Journal of Advanced Electrical and Electronics Engineering, pp. 15–19. (2015).Google Scholar
- 6.Venkateswara Rao, T., Sudhakar, A., Padma Raju, K.: Design of Microstrip Antenna with Notch Filter for UWB Application. In: International Journal of Electronics & Communication Technology, vol. 7(1), pp. 30–33. (2015).Google Scholar
- 7.Elkorany, A. S., Elhalafawy, S. M., Shahid, S., Gentili, G. G.: UWB integrated microstrip patch antenna with unsymmetrical opposite slots. In: IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), pp. 426–429. Turin (2015).Google Scholar
- 8.Majeed, A. H., Abdullah, A. S., Elmegri, F., Sayidmarie, K. H., Abd-Alhameed, R. A., Noras, J. M.: Aperture-Coupled Asymmetric Dielectric Resonators Antenna for Wideband Applications. In: IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, vol. 13, pp. 927–930. IEEE, (2014).Google Scholar
- 9.Bhadouria, A. S., Kumar, M.: Wide Ku-Band Microstrip patch antenna using defected patch and ground. In: International Conference on Advances in Engineering and Technology Research (ICAETR), pp. 1–5. Unnao (2014).Google Scholar