Answering Questions with Questions: A Personal Take on Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem as It Relates to Architecture and Design
This paper discusses the role of prototyping as a vehicle to integrate electronic media technology, materiality, and physical computing into architectural design process and education. It connects a creating-making approach to a broader maker and hacker culture through adaptive and autonomous assemblies and embedded electronic systems. It recognizes the need for a new conceptual discourse on what constitutes effective design methodology that nurtures innovation and considers all design factors: social, cultural, and technological.
KeywordsSoap Bubble Digital Fabrication Design Resolution Master Builder Intellectual Property Ownership
The Green Wall project was developed by Milena Popow (Fig. 18.9).
The Tectonic Media Façade was developed by Kristen Schindler (Fig. 18.10).
- 1.Kittler, F. A. (1999). Gramophone, film, typewriter (trans. by Geoffrey Winthrop-Young and Michael Wutz) (pp. 200–208). Stanford: Stanford University Press. Quoted in Patricia Falguières, “A failed love affair with the typewriter,” Rosa B. Accessed June, 2016. http://www.rosab.net/spip.php?page=article&id_article=47#nb1
- 2.Pye, D. (1968). The nature and art of workmanship. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- 3.McLuhan, M., & Fiore, Q. (1967). The medium is the massage: An inventory of effects. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- 4.Vitruvius, P. (1914). The ten books on architecture. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- 5.Burke, J., & Ornstein, R. (1997). The Axemaker’s gift: Technology’s capture and control of our minds and culture. New York: Putnam.Google Scholar
- 6.Calder, N. (1963). How to be dignified though useless. In: D. Gabor (Ed.), Review of “inventing the future” (p. 712, column 2). Reed Business Information, March 28, 1963, New Scientist, http://www.quoteinvestigator.com/2012/09/27/invent-the-future/#more-4515
- 7.Borton, T. (1970). Reach, touch and teach (p. 213). US: McGraw-Hill Inc. Retrieved from http://www.nurseeducationtoday.com/article/S0260-6917(13)00400-0/abstract. ISBN: 9780070065703.