AT-MAC: A Novel Full Duplex MAC Design for Achieving Asymmetric Transmission
Wireless Full-duplex technique can significantly improve system throughput of a wireless network. Most existing full-duplex-supporting wireless MAC schemes only achieve symmetric transmission (i.e., the uplink throughput of a node is equal to its downlink throughput). However, in reality, the uplink and downlink traffic is often asymmetric. In this paper, we propose a novel MAC scheme called AT-MAC to achieve asymmetric transmission. In AT-MAC, upon receiving a packet, a receiver determines whether to execute a reverse transmission to the peer or to initiate a new transmission to a third node, according to the peer’s uplink and downlink requirements. Extensive simulations verify that the proposed design is feasible and efficient.
KeywordsFull Duplex Asymmetric Transmission WLANs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. L. Choi, M. Jain, K. Srinivasan, P. Levis, and S. Katti, “Achieving single channel, full duplex wireless communication,” in Proceedings of the sixteenth annual international conference on Mobile computing and networking, pp. 1-12, ACM, 2010.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Bharadia, E. McMilin, and S. Katti, “Full duplex radios,” in Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM, pp. 375-386, ACM, 2013.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Sahai, G. Patel, and A. Sabharwal, “Pushing the limits of full-duplex: Design and real-time implementation,” arXiv preprint arXiv:1107.0607, 2011.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Goyal, P. Liu, O. Gurbuz, E. Erkip, and S. Panwar, “A distributed MAC protocol for full duplex radio,” in Signals, Systems and Computers, 2013. Asilomar Conference on, pp. 788–792, IEEE, 2013.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Duarte, A. Sabharwal, V. Aggarwal, R. Jana, K. Ramakrishnan, C. W. Rice, and N. Shankaranarayanan, “Design and characterization of a full duplex multiantenna system for WiFi networks,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 1160–1177, 2014.Google Scholar
- 6.R. Dunaytsev, D. Moltchanov, Y. Koucheryavy, O. Strandberg, and H. Flinck, “A survey of P2P traffic management approaches: best practices and future directions,” Journal of Internet Engineering, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 318-330, 2012.Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE 802.11 - wireless lan medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specifications, IEEE Std. 02.11-2007, June 2007.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Sen, R. R. Choudhury, and S. Nelakuditi, “CSMA/CN: carrier sense multiple access with collision notification,” IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking (TON), vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 544–556, 2012.Google Scholar