Liberal Arts and Sciences Education for the 21st Century Knowledge Economy: A Case Study of Amsterdam University College, The Netherlands
This chapter describes how Amsterdam University College (AUC), a liberal arts and science honours college in The Netherlands, promotes internationalization and adopts a global approach in its curriculum and academic community. It shows how global learning outcomes and 21st century skills can be fostered to contribute to the international competiveness of higher education institutions and considers the implications for East Asia.
KeywordsForeign Language Digital Literacy Global City Computational Thinking 21st Century Skill
- Amsterdam University College (AUC). (2012). AUC SERU report (internal document).Google Scholar
- Amsterdam University College (AUC). (2013). Graduate survey (internal document).Google Scholar
- Amsterdam University College (AUC). (2014). Graduate survey (internal document).Google Scholar
- Amsterdam University College (AUC). (2015). Towards a 2020 strategy for AUC (internal document).Google Scholar
- Nowotny, H. (2012, September 19). Opening of new AUC building. Retrieved from http://www.auc.nl/news-events/press-releases/press-releases-kopie/press-releases-kopie/content/folder/2012/09/opening-new-auc-building—dies-natalis-2012.html.
- QANU. (2013). Quality assurance Netherlands Universities. Report LAS UvA/VU ow 2013/Q459. Retrieved from http://www.nvao.net.
- Trilling, B., & Fadel, C. (2009). 21st century skills: Learning for life in our times. San Francisco, CA: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- University Colleges Deans Network (UCDN). (2014). Statement on the role, characteristics, and cooperation of liberal arts and sciences colleges in The Netherlands. Retrieved from https://www.universitycolleges.info/.
- van der Wende, M. C. (2013). Amsterdam University College: An excellence initiative in liberal arts and science education. In Q. Wang, Y. Cheng, & N. C. Liu (Eds.), Building world-class universities: Different approaches to a common goal (pp. 89–103). Centre for World-Class Universities. Jiao Tong University, Shanghai: Sense Publishers.Google Scholar