Analysis of Network Management and Monitoring Using Cloud Computing
- 1.3k Downloads
In the near future the number of equipment connected to the Internet will greatly increase, so that further development of applications meant to verify their operations will be required. Monitoring represents an important factor in improving the quality of the services provided in cloud computing, given the fact that it allows scaling resource utilization in an adaptive manner. This paper aims to provide a solution for the monitoring of network devices and services, allowing administrator to verify connectivity of the equipment, their performances and network security. The main contribution of the paper consists in proposing an integrated solution that is deployed in the cloud for monitoring all the network components. Finally, the paper discusses the main findings and advantages for a reference implementation of the monitoring system using a simulated network.
KeywordsNetwork monitoring Cloud computing Nagios Network management
The work has been funded by the Sectorial Operational Programme Human Resources Development 2007-2013 of the Ministry of European Funds through the Financial Agreement POSDRU/159/1.5/S/134398. The work is supported by in part by UEFISCDI Romania under grants: “Scalable Radio Transceiver for Instrumental Wireless Sensor Networks - SaRaT-IWSN” (20/2012), MobiWay (PN-II-PT-PCCA-2013-4), DataWay (PNII-RU-TE-2014-4-2731) and by European Commission by: grant no. 262EU/2013 - “eWALL” support project, grant no. 337E/2014 - “Accelerate” project and by FP7 IP project no. 610658/2013 “eWALL for Active Long Living”. This work has been partially supported by the Italian Ministry of Research within PRIN project “GenData 2020” (2010RTFWBH). It is supported in part by the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement No. 643963 (SWITCH project).
We would like to thank the reviewers for their time and expertise, constructive comments and valuable insight.
- 2.Suciu, G., Vulpe, A., Arseni, S., Stancu, A., Butca, C., Suciu, V.: Monitoring a cloud-based speech processing system. In: Electronics, Computers and Artificial Intelligence, Romania (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Arcaro, S., Di Carlo, S., Indaco, M., Pala, D., Prinetto, P., Vatajelu, E.I.: Integration of STT-MRAM model into CACTI simulator. In: 2014 9th International Design and Test Symposium (IDT), pp. 67–72, 16–18 December 2014Google Scholar
- 4.Muralimanohar, N., Balasubramonian, R., Jouppi, N.: Optimizing NUCA organizations and wiring alternatives for large caches with CACTI 6.0. In: 40th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium Microarchitecture, MICRO 2007, December 2007Google Scholar
- 6.Dalle Vacche, A., Lee, S.K.: Mastering Zabbix. Packt Publishing Ltd., Birmingham (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Marik, O., Zitta, S.: Comparative analysis of monitoring system for data networks. In: 2014 International Conference on Multimedia Computing and Systems (ICMCS). IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Orebaugh, A., Ramirez, G., Beale, J.: Wireshark & Ethereal Network Protocol Analyzer Toolkit. Syngress, Rockland, MA (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Lee, C.A., Desai, N.: Approaches for virtual organization support in OpenStack. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E), March 2014Google Scholar
- 10.Suciu, G., Halunga, S., Ochian, A., Suciu, V.: Network management and monitoring for cloud systems. In: Electronic, Computers and Artificial Intelligence International Conference, Romania (2014)Google Scholar
- 11.Magda, S.M., Rus, A.B., Dobrota, V.: Nagios-based network management for Android, Windows and Fedora Core terminals using Net-SNMP agents. In: 2013 11th Roedunet International Conference (RoEduNet) (2013)Google Scholar
- 13.Netto, J.E., Paulicena, E.H., Silva, R.A., Anzaloni, A.: Analysis of energy consumption using HTTP and FTP protocols over IEEE 802.11. In: Latin America Transactions. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Sureswaran, R., Al Bazar, H., Abouabdalla, O., Manasrah, A.M., El-Taj, H.: Active e-mail system SMTP protocol monitoring algorithm. In: 2nd IEEE International Conference on Broadband Network and Multimedia Technology, IC-BNMT 2009, October 2009Google Scholar
- 15.Ghit, B., Pop, F., Cristea, V.: Epidemic-style global load monitoring in large-scale overlay networks. In: 2010 International Conference on P2P, Parallel, Grid, Cloud and Internet Computing (3PGCIC), pp. 393–398. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Dobre, C., Pop, F., Cristea, V.: A simulation framework for dependable distributed systems. In: International Conference on Parallel Processing-Workshops, ICPP-W 2008, pp. 181–187. IEEE, September 2008Google Scholar