Fostering Democratic Practices in the Classroom
Colleges and universities are being challenged to prepare students to become empowered leaders who know themselves as engaged, active participants in the creation of a future for society. Unfortunately some students are graduating from of our higher education institutions without having acquired the critical skills needed to navigate life with power. Some students are not getting sufficient opportunities for critical thinking, self-agency, and social action in the classroom.
KeywordsSocial Justice Critical Thinking Active Participant Internal Dialogue Ontological Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barker, C. (2000). Liberal arts education for a global society. New York, NY: Carnegie Corporation of New York.Google Scholar
- Erhard, W., Jensen, M., Granger, K., & Zaffron, S. (2012). Introductory reading for being a leader and the effective exercise of leadership: An ontological/phenomenological model. Harvard Business School Negotiation, Organizations, and Market Research Papers.Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1972). Pedagogy of the oppressed. England: Herder and Herder.Google Scholar
- Giroux, H. (2013). The educational deficit and the war on youth. Retrieved from http://blogs.ubc.ca/ices/2013/06/18/henry-giroux-the-educational-deficit-and-the-war-on-youth/Google Scholar
- Haidar, H. (2014). What is liberal arts education? Retrieved from http://www.topuniversities.com/blog/what-liberal-arts-educationGoogle Scholar
- Jenlink, P. M., & Jenlink, K. E. (2012). Examining leadership as public pedagogy for social justice. International Journal of Educational Leadership Preparation, 7(3), 1–16.Google Scholar
- McGowan, T. (2014). Integrative learning and the value of liberal arts education. Retrieved from https://www.rhodes.edu/stories/integrative-learning-and-value-liberal-arts-educationGoogle Scholar
- Nozick, R. (1989). The unexamined life. New York, NY: Touchstone.Google Scholar
- Palmer, P. (2010). The heart of higher education: A call to renewal. Thousand Oaks, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Polychroniou, C. (2007). Higher education in a time of crisis: Rethinking the politics and possibilities of critical pedagogy. Retrieved from http://www.cosmopolisonline.it/20071201/giroux.phpGoogle Scholar
- Souba, W. W. (2011). The being of leadership. Philosophy, Ethics, and Humanities in Medicine, 6(5), 1–11.Google Scholar