Learning How to Build Community Without Following the Instructions
My sole intention in watching The Lego Movie (Lin, Lee, Lord, & Miller, 2014) trailer was to find out why everyone else liked it so much. When the trailer began, I immediately recognized the song “Everything is AWESOME!!!” (Patterson, Bartholomew, Harriton, & The Lonely Island, 2014) that my colleagues had been singing for months.
KeywordsPublic Pedagogy Popular Culture Adult Education Adult Learning Female Character
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brookfield, S. (2009). Understanding development. In G. Strohschen (Ed.), Handbook of blended shore education: Adult program development and delivery (pp. 27–43). doi: 10.1007/987-0-387-09443-4_2
- Braizaz, M. (2013, October 24). Lego and gender marketing: A strategy under construction. Retrieved from http://www.womenology.com/marketing-watch/lego-and-gender-marketing-a-strategy-underconstruction/Google Scholar
- Burdick, J., & Sandlin, J. A. (2013). Learning, becoming, and the unknowable: Conceptualizations, mechanisms, and process in public pedagogy literature. Curriculum Inquiry, 43(1), 142–177. doi:10.111/curi.12001Google Scholar
- Giroux, H. A. (2008). Hollywood film as public pedagogy: Education in the crossfire. Afterimage, 35(5), 7–13.Google Scholar
- Jarvis, P. (2002). Globalisation, citizenship and the education of adults in contemporary European society. Compare: A Journal of Comparative International Education, 32(1), 5–19. doi:10.1080/ 03057920120116490Google Scholar
- Jarvis, P. (2006). Towards a comprehensive theory of human learning: Lifelong learning and the learning society (Vol. 1). New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Jarvis, P. (2008). The consumer society: Is there a place for traditional adult education? Convergence, 41(1), 11–27.Google Scholar
- Lin, D., Lee R. (Producers), Lord, P., & Miller, C. (Directors). (2014). The Lego movie [Motion picture]. United States: Warner Bros. Pictures.Google Scholar
- Magowan, M. (2013, January 28). The Smurfette principle “evolves” into the minority feisty. Retrieved from http://reelgirl.com/2013/01/the-smurfette-principle-evolves-into-the-minority-feisty/Google Scholar
- McKee, A. (2003). Textual analysis: A beginner’s guide. London, England: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Orwell, G. (1949). 1984. New York, NY: Harcourt.Google Scholar
- Patterson, S., Bartholomew, J., Harriton, L., & The Lonely Island. (2014). Everything is AWESOME!!! [Recorded by Tegan & Sara]. On The Lego movie: Original motion picture soundtrack [CD]. Sydney, Australia: WaterTower Music.Google Scholar