The learning context for which this lesson was prepared was a Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) Electrotechnology class of 18 students and a separate VCAL Plumbing class of 16 students. Both classes involved students aged between 16 and 18. The aim was for students to practice filling in a variety of work-related forms, to prepare them for writing job applications.
KeywordsProximal Development Weak Student JAMES Form Group Work Support Peer Feedback
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom, B. S. (Ed). (1956). The taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals. London: Longmans, Green and Co.Google Scholar
- Campbell, R., & Green, D. (Eds.) (2006). Literacies and learners: Current perspectives (3rd ed.). Frenchs Forest, Australia: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD). (2014). Principles of learning and teaching (PoLT). Retrieved from http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingprinciples/principles/unpacked.htm
- Dewey, J. (1902). The child and the curriculum. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Ludwig, C. (2003). Making sense of literacy. Newsletter of the Australian Literacy Educator’s Association. Retrieved from http://www.decd.sa.gov.au/limestonecoast/files/links/Making_sense_of_Literacy.pdf
- Newmann, F., M., & Wehlage, G. G. (1993). Five standards of authentic instruction. Educational Leadership, 50 (7), 8–12. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/apr93/vol50/num07/Five-Standards-of-Authentic-Instruction.aspx
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA, London, England: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Burnett, B., Meadmore, D., & Tait, G. ( Eds. ). ( 2004 ). New questions for contemporary teachers: Taking a socio-cultural approach to education. Frenchs Forest NSW : Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Carr, D. ( 2003 ). Making sense of education: An introduction to the philosophy and theory of education and teaching. London, England : Routledge.Google Scholar
- Davis, B., Sumara, D., & Luce-Kapler, R. ( 2008 ). Engaging minds: Changing teaching in complex time ( 2nd ed. ). New York, NY : Routledge.Google Scholar
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD). ( 2014 ). Principles of learning and teaching (PoLT). Retrieved from http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingprinciples/principles/unpacked.htm
- Gewirtz, S., & Cribb, A. ( 2009 ). Understanding education: A sociological perspective. Cambridge : Cambridge Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Kumashiro, K. K. ( 2004 ). Against common sense: Teaching and learning toward social justice. New York, NY : RoutledgeFalmer.Google Scholar