This was my first lesson with this class on my second placement. I was keen to introduce a unit that I had recently completed with two of my colleagues from university on rising sea levels, global warming and the Carteret Islands. I had outlined the unit and the tasks involved to my mentor prior to the class and he was happy for me to proceed.
KeywordsLearning Strategy Learning Space Actual Learning Strategy Student Resource Practice Round
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dempsey, I., & Arthur-Kelly, M. (2007). Maximising learning outcomes in diverse classrooms. South Melbourne, Victoria: Thomson.Google Scholar
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD). (2014). Principles of learning and teaching (PoLT). Retrieved from http://www.education.vic.gov.au/studentlearning/teachingprinciples/principles/unpacked.htm
- Dewey, J. (1990). The school and society and the child and the curriculum: A centennial edition with a “lost essay”. Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Flewelling, G., & Higginson, W. (2003). Teaching with rich learning tasks: A handbook (2nd ed.). Adelaide, South Australia: The Australian Association of Mathematics Teachers Inc.Google Scholar
- Killen, R. (2009). Effective teaching strategies: Lessons from research and practice (5th ed.). South Melbourne, Victoria: Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Kumashiro, K. (2004). Against common sense: Teaching and learning toward social justice. London, United Kingdom: RoutledgeFalmer.Google Scholar
- Molebash, P. (2004). Web historical inquiry projects. The Social Educator, 68 (3), 226–29.Google Scholar
- Murdoch, K., & Hornsby, D. (1997). Planning curriculum connections: Whole school planning for integrated curriculum. South Yarra, Victoria: Eleanor Curtain.Google Scholar
- Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, Massachusetts, and London, England: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Kumashiro, K. ( 2002 ). Troubling education: Queer activism and antioppressive pedagogy. New York, NY : RoutledgeFalmer.Google Scholar
- Kumashiro, K. K. ( 2004 ). Against common sense: Teaching and learning toward social justice. New York, NY : RoutledgeFalmer.Google Scholar
- Micciche, L. ( 2000 ). When class equals crass: A working-class student’s ways with anger. In J. P. Tassoni & W. H. Thelin (Eds.), Blundering for a change: Errors and expectations in critical pedagogy ( pp. 24 – 36 ). Portsmouth, NH : Boynton/Cook Publishers.Google Scholar