Renewing the American Dream
The first African American to do so, Barack Obama was elected President of the United States of America on January 20, 2009, with 52.6 % of the popular vote and 364 Electoral College votes to John McCain's 162. His rise to the presidential office has been spectacular: from community organizer and civil rights attorney, to lecturer in constitutional law at the University of Chicago (1992-2004) and leader in the Illinois Senate (1997-2004), to US Senator (2004-2008) and President.
KeywordsCommunity Organizer Popular Vote AMERICAN Dream Trouble Asset Relief Program Senate Race
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alinsky SD. Rules for radicals: A pragmatic primer for realistic radicals. New York: Random House; 1971.Google Scholar
- Curry J. Barack Obama: Under the lights. Fall: Chicago Life; 2004.Google Scholar
- Graff G. The legend of Barack Obama. November: Washingtonian; 2006. 1.Google Scholar
- Koltun D. The 2004 Illinois Senate race: Obama wins open seat and becomes national political 'star'. In: Ahua S, Dewhirst R, editors. The road to Congress 2004. Haupauge, New York: Nova Science Publishers; 2005.Google Scholar
- Kuttner, Robert (2009). Obama's economic opportunity: The dismal state of the econ- omy presents Obama with the chance not just to produce a recovery but to restore a more egalitarian society - and a progressive majority, The American Prospect. http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=obamas_economic_opportunity.
- Lizza, Ryan (2007). Above the fray, GQ, September. http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_5841.
- MacFarquhar, Larissa (2007). The conciliator: Where is Barack Obama coming from? New Yorker, May 7. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/05/07/070507fa_fact_macfarquhar
- Mundy L. A series of fortunate events. August: The Washington Post Magazine; 2007. 12.Google Scholar
- Obama, Barack (2004). Democratic National Convention in 2004. http://www.librarian.net/dnc/speeches/obama.txt.
- Obama, Barack (2007). Renewing American leadership, Foreign Affairs, July/August. http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070701faessay86401/barack-obama/renewing-americanleadership.html.
- Wallace-Wells, Ben (2007). Destiny's child, Rolling Stone, February 7. http://www.rollingstone.com/ politics/story/13390609/campaign_08_the_radical_roots_of_barack_obama.
- Zutter, Hank De (1995). What makes Obama run, Chicago Reader, December 8. http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/archive/barackobama/.