Hydrothermal Synthesis Products of CaO Metakaolin H2O System at 90 °C
In order to fully utilize the low-grade kaolin resources, the hydrothermal synthesis products of CaO-Metakaolin-H2O system at 90 °C were studied. Starting from in-depth analysis of the hydration characteristics and mechanism of CaO-SiO2-H2O systems and basing on calculation of its Gibbs free energy at different temperature, the stable hydration products at different temperature or n(Ca)/n(Si) are identified. Meanwhile, 363 K (90 °C) has been designated as the hydrothermal temperature. The relationship between the extent of hydration and reaction time of three n(Ca)/n(Si) varieties was studied by the coordination of six curves subsequently. The analysed conclusion showed that their best mimic curves were Jander equation. It was calculation through the equation that their KJ value are 49.06 × 10−4, 42.22 × 10−4 and 27.3 × 10−4 in each variety. According to the result of SEM, X-ray, the major hydration products of hydro-thermal synthesis were porous surface and semi-crystalline C-S-H (B), filament and network shape C-S-H (II), numerous cube and granule shaped C3ASnH6−2n encapsulated within C-S-H gel, a small quantity of C4AH13 and C2ASH8.
KeywordsSilica Fume Hydration Product Hydrated Calcium Silicate Pozzolanic Reaction Interfacial Transition Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research is financially supported by YangFan Innovative & Entrepreneurial Research Team Project (No.201312C12) and National “Twelfth Five-Year” Plan for Science & Technology Support Development Program of China (Project 2014BAB15B01).
- 2.Cyr, M., Trinh, M., Husson, B., Casaux-Ginestet, G.: Effect of cement type on metakaolin efficiency. Cem. Concr. Res. 64, 63–72 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Ambroise, J., Maximillen et al.: Properties of metakaolin blended cements. Adv. Cem. Mater. 1(4), 161–68 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, H.S., Lee, S.H., Moon, H.Y.: Strength properties and durability aspects of high strength concrete using Corean metakaolin. Constr. Build. Mater. 21, 1229–37 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Murat, M.: Hydration reaction and hardening of calcined clays and related minerals. I. Preliminary investigation on metakaolinite. Cem. Concr. Res. 13(2)259–66 (1983)Google Scholar
- 9.Rojas, M.F., Cabrera, J.: The effect of temperature on the hydration rate and stability of the hydration phases of metakaolin-lime-water systems. Cem. Concr. Res. 32133–38 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Silva, P.S., Glasser, F.P.: Phase relation in the system CaO-Al2O3-SiO2-H2O relevant to metakaolin-calcium hydroxide hydration. Cem. Concr. Res. 23, 627–39 (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Plowman, C., Cabrera, J.G.: The use of fly ash to improve the sulphate resistance of concrete. Waste Manage. 16, 145–49 (1996)Google Scholar