Influence of the Manufacturing Process on the Performance of Low Clinker, Calcined Clay-Limestone Portland Cement
This paper discusses influence of manufacture parameters of a new type of cement (low carbon cement, LC3) which can substitute up to 50 % of clinker by calcined clay and limestone. Limestone powder accelerates the early hydration and calcined clays and contributes to strength development at later ages due to its pozzolanic reaction. Further, it facilitates improving rheology of the fresh mix without compromising strength, possibly due to the synergetic interaction between calcined clays and limestone. Workability of this new system is strongly affected by the Particle Size Distribution (PSD) and PSD is affected by the grinding process, therefore, due to the different hardness and grindability between the materials forming this cement, new production parameters must be defined. This study compares the results obtain by separate grinding and intergrinding, especially the impact at rheology and early strength. The influence of clinker and limestone on both properties has been assessed, aided by microstructural studies using different techniques (XRD, TGA, IC, etc.) to determine the best fineness combination and analyze the effect of PSD of the new system in cement properties. Intergrinding seems to give reasonable good results in terms of rheology and early strength.
KeywordsCompressive Strength Particle Size Distribution Blended Cement Limestone Powder Early Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.De Weerdt, K., Sellevold, E.J., Kjellsen, K.O., Justnes, H.: Fly ash-limestone ternary cements: effect of component fineness. Adv. Cement Res. 23(4), 203–214 (2011) Google Scholar
- 4.Vizcaíno-Andrés, L.M., Sánchez-Berriel, S., Damas-Carrera, S., Pérez-Hernández, A., Scrivener, K.L., Martirena-Hernández, J.F.: Industrial trial to produce a low clinker, low carbon cement. Materiales de Construcción, 65(317) (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Vizcaíno-Andrés, L.M., Mathieu, G., Martirena Hernández, J.F., Scrivener, K.L.: Effect of fineness in clinker-calcined clays-limestone cements. Adv. Cement Res. (2015) (submitted) Google Scholar
- 6.Justnes, H., De Weerdt, K.: Sintef Report, p. 30 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Alujas, A., Fernández, R., Quintana, R., Scrivener, K.L., Martirena, F.: Pozzolanic reactivity of low grade kaolinitic clays: influence of calcination temperature and impact of calcination products in OPC hydration. Appl. Clay Sci. 108, 94–101 (2015)Google Scholar