Low Carbon Cement: Durability Performance Assessment with Laboratory and Site Tests
As part of the validation procedures for low carbon cement (LCC), with only 50 % clinker content, its durability performance will be established by exposing specimens and large scale elements to a natural marine environment in the N. coast of Cuba. Before subjecting the elements to the exposure site, it was decided to assess their potential durability by the non-destructive measurement of the coefficient of air-permeability kT (Swiss Standard SIA 262/1:2013) and cover depth. Preliminary trials were run on cast specimens and directly on precast elements industrially produced with mixes of equivalent strength, prepared with the LCC and a conventional OPC. Further, kT measurements were made after the elements have been at the exposure site for almost one year. The kT results are encouraging in terms of the potential durability of LCC concretes and confirm the importance of the quality of the execution on the performance of full scale elements as well as the need of in situ measurements.
KeywordsCover Depth Exposure Site Carbonation Depth Cast Specimen Universidad Central
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Martirena, F., Scrivener, K.: Ecomaterials in low-cost housing. connecting cutting-edge science with the grassroots. In: Bolay, G. J.-C., Schmid, M., Tejada, E.H. (eds.) Technologies and Innovation for Development, pp. 101–111. Springer, Lausanne (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Antoni, M., et al.: Cement substitution by a combination of metakaolin and limestone. Cem. Concr. Res. 42(12), 1579–1589 (2012). Available at: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0008884612002074. Accessed 18 Sept 2014
- 3.Vizcaíno-Andrés, L.M., Sánchez-Berriel, S., Damas-Carrera, S., Pérez-Hernández, A., Scrivener, K.L., Martirena-Hernández, J.F.: Industrial trial to produce a low clinker, low carbon cement. Materiales de Construcción 65(317) (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.262/1:2913, S.: Bauwesen Betonbau—Ergänzende Festlegungen (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Jacobs, F., et al.: Specification and site control of the permeability of the cover concrete: the swiss approach dedicated to professor Dr. Bernhard Elsener on the occasion of his 60th birthday. Mater. Corros. 63(12), 1127–1133 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Services, M.M.A.: Measures the Air meability of the Cover Concrete and other Porous Materials (2014)Google Scholar