Simulation Study of a Novel High Performance Oxide Engineered Schottky Collector Bipolar Transistor
The metal source/drain (MSD) Schottky barrier MOSFET offers several benefits enabling the scaling of MOSFET below 30 nm gate lengths. MSD Schottky barrier MOSFET possesses low parasitic S/D resistance, abrupt junctions that enable the scaling of the device to sub-10-nm gate lengths, superior control of leakage current due to the intrinsic Schottky potential barrier, and elimination of parasitic bipolar action. In this work, we propose a novel lateral Schottky Collector Bipolar Transistor (SCBT) employing multi zone base and multi step buried oxide has been proposed and simulated. The proposed device is simulated by using a 2D numerical simulator MEDICI. The simulation study has revealed that the proposed device with two base doping zones has ~30 % higher breakdown voltage than the conventional device. The breakdown voltage increases further and is ~75 % higher, when the number of zones in the proposed devices is increased to three. The increase in breakdown voltage can be attributed to the creation of extra electric field peaks in extended base region by multi doping zones in the base.
KeywordsBipolar transistor Breakdown voltage Electric field Multi zone Oxide engineering Schottky collector Silicon-on-insulator
This work was supported by NSTIP strategic technologies programs number (11-NAN-2118-02) on the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- 1.International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors 2003 Edition (Semiconductor Industry Association, Austin, TX)Google Scholar
- 3.S. Akbar, N. Anantha, C. Hsieh, J. Walsh, Method of fabrication of Schottky bipolar transistor. IBM Technol. Discl. Bull. 33, 11 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.M.J. Kumar, S.D. Roy, A new high breakdown voltage lateral Schottky collector bipolar transistor on SOI: design and analysis. IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 52(2), 496–501 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Nishi, Insulated gate field effect transistor and its manufacturing method. Japan Patent 587,527 (1970)Google Scholar
- 9.TMA MEDICI 4.2. (Technology Modeling Associates Inc., Palo Alto)Google Scholar
- 11.S.A. Loan, H. Shabir, F. Bashir, M. Rafat, A.R.M. Alamoud, S.A. Abbasi, A high performance charge plasma PN-Schottky collector transistor on silicon-on-insulator. Semicond. Sci. Technol. 29(095001), 1–9 (2014)Google Scholar
- 12.S.A. Loan, H. Shabir, F. Bashir, M. Rafat, A.R.M. Alamoud, S.A. Abbasi, High performance oxide engineered lateral Schottky bipolar transistor, in Proceedings of the International Multi Conference of Engineers and Computer Scientists 2014, IMECS 2014, Hong Kong, 12–14 Mar 2014. Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science, pp. 701–704Google Scholar