Mobile Adaptive Tutoring System with Formative Assessment
Smartphones and tablets are becoming major learning tools in higher education. But developing educational software for smart phones and tablets based on iOS, Android, and Windows operating systems are time consuming task. Since smart phones and tablets are equipped with the web browsers, instead of developing educational software for all different operating systems, it is only necessary to develop educational web application. This way, all the effort for developing educational software can be concentrated on how to evaluate learner’s level of understanding. In this paper, how to generate a formative assessment using educator’s knowledge structure map and how to implement it as an web application is shown.
KeywordsAdaptive tutoring system Educator’s knowledge structure map Formative assessment Knowledge score Relative distance Web application
This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 25330415. We thank all colleagues and students participated in this project and suggested useful ideas to develop a mathematical intelligent tutoring system with formative assessment.
- 2.R.G. Ainsworth, Turning potential school dropouts into graduates: the case for school-based one-to-one tutoring. Research Report 95—07. National Commission for Employment Policy, 35 (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.J. Keyes, Where’s the ‘‘expert’’ in expert systems. AI Expert 5(3), 61–64 (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.H. Yokota, An adaptive tutoring system for Calculus learning, in Proceedings of The World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2009, WCECS 2011, San Francisco, USA, 20–22 Oct 2009, pp. 640–645Google Scholar
- 7.H. Yokota, On a development an adaptive tutoring system utilizing educator’s knowledge structure, in Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science: Proceedings of The World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2011, WCECS 2011, San Francisco, USA, 19–21 Oct 2011, pp. 260–264Google Scholar
- 8.H. Yokota, On mathematical software equipped with adaptive tutor system. IAENG Trans. Eng. Technol. Lect. Notes Electr. Eng. 170, 229–238 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.H. Yokota, On developing an adaptive tutoring system with formative assessment for mobile learning, in Lecture Notes in Engineering and Computer Science: Proceedings of The World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science 2013, WCECS 2013, San Francisco, USA, 23–25 Oct 2013, pp. 174–177Google Scholar