Secure and Efficient Deduplication over Encrypted Data with Dynamic Updates in Cloud Storage
Cloud service providers adopt a deduplication technique to minimize resource utility costs. However, it is one of the most challenging issues to manage the outsourced data in a storage-efficient way when users encrypt data for preserving privacy and frequently update it. When the data is updated, file-level deduplication makes entire copy of updated file although there are small modifications. Block-level deduplication solves this problem, but it requires metadata larger than the outsourced blocks. To address this problem, we propose a hybrid deduplication scheme that minimizes storage overhead. Our scheme performs file-level deduplication along with isolation of only updated blocks with augmented metadata. The analysis results show that our scheme minimizes storage costs while guaranteeing secure update with efficient verification.
KeywordsCloud storage Deduplication over encrypted data File-level deduplication Block-level deduplication Storage overhead
This work was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MEST) (No. 2011-0016584 and No. 2013R1A2A2A01005559).
- 2.2013 Data Breach Investigations Report, http://www.verizonenterprise.com/resources/reports/rp_data-breach-investigations-report-2013_en_xg.pdf
- 3.Malicious insider attack to rise, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7875904.stm
- 4.Srinivasaan K, Bisson T, Goodson G, Voruganti K (2012) iDedup: latency-aware, inline data deduplication for primary storage. In: FAST, 14 pp, IACRGoogle Scholar
- 5.Xu, J., Chang, E.C., Zhou, J.: Weak Leakage-Resilient Client-side Deduplication of Encrypted Data in Cloud Storage, In: ASIACCS, pp.195-206, ACM, (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Bellare M, Keelveedhi S, Ristenpart T (2013) Message-locked encryption and secure deduplication, In: EUROCRYPT, 29 pp, AthensGoogle Scholar
- 7.Douceur J, Adya A, Bolosky W, Simon P, Theimer M (2002) Reclaiming space from duplicate files in a serverless distributed file systems. In: ICDCS, pp 617–624Google Scholar
- 8.Dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/
- 9.Mozy, http://www.mozy.com/