The Effect of Early Flood Warnings on Mitigation and Recovery During the 2010 Pakistan Floods
We estimate the effect of early warnings on the likelihood of households taking action to mitigate damages before the severe 2010 flood in Punjab, Pakistan. Using a survey of 640 households conducted after the floods, we find that face-to-face warnings significantly increase the probability of households taking any pre-flood mitigation action, while remote warnings such as television and radio announcements do not have a significant effect on taking any mitigation. For the most costly mitigation action of reinforcing the house structure, only warning from government officials or mosques significantly increases the likelihood of action. Receiving a warning and taking mitigation action reduces the actual loss of household structure value, and taking pre-flood mitigation action also significantly increases the likelihood of having recovered household possessions.
KeywordsMitigation action Pakistan Household Risk perception Framework Remote information sources
The authors are grateful for financial support from the British Academy, the Lahore School of Economics, the Wharton School, and the Travelers Foundation.
- Baker E, Broad K, Czajkowski J, Meyer R, Orlov B (2012) Risk perceptions and preparedness among Mid-Atlantic coastal residents in advance of hurricane sandy. Wharton Risk Center working paper, University of PennsylvaniaGoogle Scholar
- EM-DAT (2012) The OFDA/CRED International Disaster Database, Universite catholique de Louvain, Brussels, http://www.emdat.be
- Fair CC (2011) What Pakistan did right. Foreign policy. http://afpak.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/18/what_pakistan_did_right. Accessed 1 Sept 2013
- Meyer R (2010) Development and pilot testing of a dynamic hurricane simulator for the laboratory study of hurricane preparedness and mitigation decisions. Wharton Risk Center working paper #2010-09-02Google Scholar
- National Disaster Management Authority (2013) National disaster risk reduction policy. http://www.ndma.gov.pk/Documents/drrpolicy2013.pdf Accessed 1 Sept 2013
- Pakistan flood warning ‘not passed on’ (2011) BBC News. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-12331554. Accessed 1 Sept 2013
- Provincial Disaster Management Authority (2008) Disaster management plan Sindh province. Provincial Disaster Management Authority, KarachiGoogle Scholar
- Provincial Disaster Management Authority (2012) Contingency plan Monsoon 2012. Provincial Disaster Management Authority, PeshawarGoogle Scholar
- Rogers RW, Prentice-Dunn S (1997) Protection motivation theory. In: Gochman DS (ed) Handbook of health behavior research I: personal and social determinants. Plenum Press, New York, pp 113–132Google Scholar
- Vastag B (2011) Pakistan floods highlight weather-data gaps. The Seattle times. http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2014266933_pakfloods20.html. Accessed 1 Sept 2013