Tension Buckling of Anisotropic Cylinders
The nature of the extensional response of anisotropic cylinders, such as helical-wound composite tubes, tinder various end conditions is investigated analytically and experimentally. Of particular interest is the existence of a uniform state of stress under practical testing conditions. Also considered is the influence of end constraint on the stability of thin tubes.
KeywordsCylindrical Shell Uniform State Thin Tube Composite Behavior Helical Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Weng, “Biaxial Fracture Strength and Physical Properties of Graphite-Base Refractory Composites”, presented at the AIAA/ASME 9th Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Palm Springs, Calif., April 1968.Google Scholar
- 2.R. E. Scherrer, “Filament-Wound Cylinders with Axial-Symmetric Loads”, J. Composite Materials,Vol. 1 (1967), p. 344.Google Scholar
- 3.C. K. Cole, “Effect of Cumulative Damage on the Biaxial Compressive Fatigue Performance of Filament Wound Laminates”, Final Report-Contract No. NObs 90329, Naval Ship Systems Command (Dec. 1966).Google Scholar
- 4.H. W. March, C. B. Norris, and E. W. Kuenzi, “Buckling of Long, Thin, Plywood Cylinders in Axial Compression”, Forest Products Laboratory Report No. 1322 (1943).Google Scholar
- 5.H. W. March, C. B. Norris, C. B. Smith, and E. W. Kuenzi, “Buckling of Thin-Walled Plywood Cylinders in Torsion”, Forest Products Laboratory Report No. 1529 (1945).Google Scholar
- 6.J. Tasi, A. Feldman, and D. A. Stang, “Buckling of Filament Wound Cylinders under Axial Compression”, NASA Report CR-266 (1965).Google Scholar
- 9.S. G. Lekhnitskii, Theory of Elasticity of an Anisotropic Elastic Body, Holden-Day (1963).Google Scholar
- 11.P. M. Naghdi, “On the Differential Equations of the Linear Theory of Elastic Shells”, Proceedings of the Eleventh International Congress of Applied Mechanics, Munich, 1964.Google Scholar
- 15.L. H. Donnell, “Stability of Thin-Walled Tubes under Torsion”, NACA Report No. 479 (1934), p. 95.Google Scholar
- 16.S. P. Timoshenko and J. M. Gere, Theory of Elastic Stability, Second Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York (1961), p. 500.Google Scholar