The Processing of Band-Limited Measurements; Filtering Techniques in the Least Squares Context and in the Presence of Data GAPS
This paper discusses the treatment of correlated measurements in the least squares context. We focus on the processing of band-limited measurements and on long time series with a constant sampling interval. Time domain as well as frequency domain approaches were discussed to offer different ways to integrate the filtering process into the optimization scheme as good as possible. The focus was on long equispaced data sets, The application of discrete filters in the space domain makes it possible to decorrelate the observations during data acquisition. This opens the way to a sequential adjustment procedure, where the design matrix is treated row-by-row. Huge systems with millions of observations can be solved by direct or iterative strategies, and both approaches benefit from well-tailored filter techniques. Because of the sequential access the computational effort of this giant task can be easily distributed to a cluster of parallel processors and offers, in addition. the possibility to treat data gaps in a straightforward way.
Keywordsleast squares band-limited observations decorrelation filtering whitening process
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bottoni G.R. R. Barzaghi: 1993. Fast Collocatio and Bulletin Gdoddsique. Vol. 67. No. 2. pp. 119–126.Google Scholar
- ESA: 1999. The Four Candidate Earth Explorer Core Missions - Gravity Field and Steady-Slate Ocean Circulation Mission’. ESA Report SP- 1233(1), Granada.Google Scholar
- Koch KR.. M. Schmidt: 1994, ‘Dctcrrninistische und stochastischc Signale’. DOmmlcr, Bonn.Google Scholar
- Moritx. H.: 1980. ‘Advanced Physical Geodesy’. Wichmann. Karlsruhe.Google Scholar
- Oppenheim A.. R. Schafer: 1975. ‘Digital Signal Processing’. Prentice-Hall Inc.. Englewood Cliffs. New Jersey.Google Scholar
- Schrama E.J.O.: l99t. ‘Gravity Fited Error Analysis: Applications of Global Positioning System Receivers and Gradiometers on Low Orbiting Platforms’. Journal of Geophysical Research, Vol.96, No. 12, pp. 20.041–20.051.Google Scholar
- Sehub Wi).: 1996. ‘Tailored Nunicrical Solution Strategies for the Global Determination of (he Earth’s Gravity Field’ Mitteilungen dergeodittischen tnstitute derTU Gras. Folge SI.Google Scholar
- Sneeuw, N.: 2000. ‘A semi-analytical approach to gravity held analysis from satellite observations’. Deuische Geodiitische Kommission. Reihe C, Heft Nr. 527, Munchen.Google Scholar