The Hubble Space Telescope Education and Outreach Program
The Office of Public Outreach (OPO) at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) was created to share the amazing discoveries of the Hubble Space Telescope with the American public. We are privileged to be the focal point for an exciting NASA/ESA space science mission to which thousands of engineers, programmers, technicians, administrators and scientists have devoted their professional gifts. Since before the launch of the telescope STScI and NASA have been pro-active in developing a multitude of products and programs and initiatives that have capitalized on the intense interest in Hubble to inform, educate and inspire millions around the globe. In this article I shall briefly describe the history and organization of our program, and then go on to describe how we intend to develop the HST outreach efforts over the next five years.
KeywordsHubble Space Telescope Outreach Program News Release Public Outreach News Product
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chaisson, E. 1998, The Hubble Wars: Astrophysics Meets Astropolitics in the TwoBillion-Dollar Struggle over the Hubble Space Telescope, Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- 2.Christensen, L. 2002, Communicating Science: A case Study, ST-ECF Newsletter 32, 11–13.Google Scholar
- 3.Christian C.A. & Kinney, A. 1999, The Public Impact of Hubble Space Telescope 3 Office of Public Outreach Monograph Series 102.Google Scholar
- 4.Christian, C.A., Eisenhamer, B., Eisenhamer, J. & Teays, T. 1999, Amazing Space: Creating Education Resources from current scientific research results from the Hubble Space Telescope 4, Office of Public Outreach Monograph Series 103.Google Scholar
- 5.Miller, J.D. 1998, Scientific Literacy, Issue Attentiveness, and Attitudes toward Science and Space Exploration, Invited Paper, Amer. Astron. Soc., Austin, TexasGoogle Scholar