Applying ELECTRE to an Option Choice Problem within an Environmental Appraisal — Three Case Studies from the Republic of Ireland
This chapter outlines the practical application of ELECTRE to three Environmental Appraisals carried out recently in the Republic of Ireland, each covering a different discipline within Civil Engineering — Wastewater Treatment, Highway Design and Solid Waste management. Each example utilises a different version of ELECTRE — ELECTRE II, III and IV respectively.
The three case studies illustrate how the ELECTRE framework takes complex information from an Environmental Impact Statement, and uses it to rank the various project options considered, though the quality of the data available determines, in each case, how completely the options are ranked. Importantly, the process leading to the ranking is explicit and logical.
KeywordsNone None Environmental Impact Assessment Weighting System Concordance Index Project Option
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ove Arup and partners (1993) Port Access and Eastern Relief Route: Environmental Appraisal Report. Dubl in Corporation.Google Scholar
- Canter, L. (1995) Environmental Impact Assessment,Mc Graw Hill, New York, 2nd Edition.Google Scholar
- Casey, A.L. and Cronin, M.C. (1996) Environmental Impact Assessment and Decision Making in Civil Engineering. Final Year Thesis, B.E. ( Civil ), University College Dublin (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Department of Transport (1982) Manual of Environmental Appraisal. HMSO, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Department of Transport (1983) Calculation of Road Traffic Noise. HMSO, London.Google Scholar
- Hickman, A.J. and Colwill, D.M. (1982) The estimation of air pollution from road traffic. Transport and Road Research Laboratory Report, LR1052, Crowthorne. UKGoogle Scholar
- McCarthy, P.H. (1992) Environmental Impact Statement, Galway Drainage Scheme. Galway Corporation.Google Scholar
- Magee, T.P. (1996) Non Monetary Decision Processes Assisting Environmental Impact Assessment for Landfill Sites. M.Eng.Sc. Thesis (unpublished), Civil Engineering Department, University College Dublin.Google Scholar
- Mouchel, L.G. (1994) Review of Alternative Sewerage and Wastewater Treatment Facilities for Galway City. Report commissioned by the Save Galway Bay Group, January.Google Scholar
- O’Sullivan, M.C. (1993) Preliminary Report on Waste Management Strategy and Development of Facilities for East Wicklow. Report completed for Wicklow County Council, November.Google Scholar
- O’Sullivan, M.C. (1995) Environmental Impact Statement for Central Landfill Facility at Ballynagran. Report completed for Wicklow County Council.Google Scholar
- Rogers M.G., and Bruen, M.P. (1995) Non-Monetary Based Decision-Aid Techniques in EIA — An Overview. Proc. Instn. Civ. Engr.,Mun. Engr.,109 June, 98–103.Google Scholar
- Rogers M.G., and Bruen, M.P. (1996) Choosing realistic values of indifference, preference and veto thresholds for use with environmental criteria within Electre. Proceedings of the 44 th Meeting of the European Working Group on Mullticriteria Aid for Decisions, Brussels, 3rd to 4th October, 1996, Session 6, and European Journal of Operational Research, Paper 96254, Approved for publication, 1997.Google Scholar
- Rogers M.G., and Bruen, M.P. (1997a) ’Threshold values for noise air and water impact criteria within the ELECTRE model’. Proceedings of the 46 th Meeting of the European Working Group on Multicriteria Aid for Decisions, Bastia, Corsica, 23rd /f 24th October, 1997, Session 6.Google Scholar
- Rogers M.G., and Bruen, M.P. (1997b) A New System for Weighting Criteria within ELECTRE. European Journal of Operational Research, Paper 96263, Approved for publication, 1997.Google Scholar
- Waterfield V.H. and Hickman A.J. (1982) Estimating Air Pollution from Road Traffic: A Graphical Screening Method. Transport and Road Research Laboratory Supplementary Report No. 752, Crowthorne, Berkshire.Google Scholar