Gradients of Hardening in Nonlocal Dislocation Based Plasticity
In this work, a thermodynamically consistent framework for a gradient enhanced plasticity model is given to introduce material length scales through the second order gradients of both the kinematic and isotropic hardening variables. In order to give a micromechanical basis for the gradient enhanced continuum model, the evolution equations of the internal state variables derived through the gradient theory are compared to the evolution equations based on dislocation theories involving mobile and immobile dislocations, and the gradient coefficients are defined using material parameters from thes dislocation theories.
Key wordsGradient dislocation plasticity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aifantis, E.C., In S. N. Atluri and J. E. Fitzerald (eds.), NSF Workshop on Mechanics and of Damage and Fracture, Georgia Tech., Atlanta, 1–12 (1982).Google Scholar
- Aifantis, E.C. and Hirth, J.P. (eds.), The Mechanics of Dislocations, ASM, Metals Park, 1985.Google Scholar
- Bammann, D.J. and Aifantis, E.C., In A.P.S. Selvadurai (ed.), Mechanics of Structured Media, Preceedings of the International Symposium on the Mechanical Behaviour of Structured Media, Ottawa, 79–91 (1981).Google Scholar
- Walgraef, D. and Aifantis, E.C., J. Appl. Phys., 58: 668–691 (1995).Google Scholar
- Voyiadjis, G.Z. and Deliktas, B., Mech. Research Communications J., 27(3): 1 (2000).Google Scholar
- Voyiadjis, G.Z., Dorgan, R.J. and Dorroh, J.R., Proc. of the 2001 Energy Sources Tech. Conference & Exhibition, ASME Publishing Company, Houston, Texas (2001).Google Scholar
- Voyiadjis, G.Z. and Dorgan, R.J., Arch. of Mech., 53(4–5): 565–597 (2001).Google Scholar
- Walgraef, D. and Aifantis, E.C., Res Mech., 23: 161–195 (1988).Google Scholar
- Zbib, H.M. and Aifantis, E.C., Res Mechanica, 23: 261–305 (1988).Google Scholar