Agnes Mary Clerke (1842–1907) Historian and Active Promoter of Astrophysics
Agnes Mary Clerke was born on 10 February 1842 at Skibbereen, County Cork, the younger daughter of John William Clerke (a classics graduate of Trinity College Dublin) and his wife Catherine née Deasy (sister of Lord Justice Deasy), a gifted musician. The three children of this cultured family responded in individual ways to the highly intellectual atmosphere of the household within which they received a private education.
KeywordsCosmical Research Trinity College Woman Scientist Royal Astronomical Society Astronomical Community
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clerke, A.M., A Popular History of Astronomy during the Nineteenth Century, London, in four editions between 1885 and 1902.Google Scholar
- Clerke, A.M., The System of the Stars, London, in two editions, 1890 and 1905.Google Scholar
- Clerke, A.M., Familiar Studies in Homer, London, 1892.Google Scholar
- Clerke, A.M., The Herschels and Modern Astronomy, London, 1895. Clerke, A.M., Problems in Astrophysics, London, 1903.Google Scholar
- Clerke, A.M., Modern Cosmogonies, London, 1905.Google Scholar
- Dent, Elsie, A., Agnes Mary Clerke, The Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, No. 2, pp. 81–84, 1907.Google Scholar
- Dreyer, J.L.E. and Turner, H.H.,Editors, History of the Royal Astronomical Society [1820–1920], with chapters by them and by R.A. Sampson, The late Colonel E.H. Grove-Hills, H.F. Newall and H.P.Google Scholar
- Hollis, Published by the Royal Astronomical Society, Burlington House, London, and sold by Wheldon and Wesley Ltd, London, 1923.Google Scholar
- Huggins, M.L., The System of the Stars, The Observatory, 13, p. 382, 1890.Google Scholar
- Huggins, Margaret (Lady), Agnes Mary Clerke and Ellen Mary Clerke, An Appreciation, based on an obituary notice for Agnes Clerke which appeared in the Astrophysical Journal, and which, somewhat expanded and including an appreciation of Ellen Clerke, was obtained from Lady Huggins by Aubrey Clerke, who had it printed for private circulation in 1907.Google Scholar
- Osterbrock, D.E., James E. Keeler, Pioneer American Astrophysicist, Cambridge, 1984.Google Scholar