The Activeclass Project: Experiments in Encouraging Classroom Participation
Participation in the classroom has dropped precipitously in recent years. We describe the use of ActiveClass, an application for encouraging in-class participation using personal wireless devices. This system was used in three sections of two different lower division courses in computer programming at UCSD. Using a notion of ecology to develop our method of analysis, these settings provide a rich source of insight into technology-mediated learning and student activity. We find that a broadening of classroom discourse is possible if attention is paid to both political and material forces present in the classroom.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, R. J., Anderson, R., VanDeGrift, T., Wolfman, S. A., and Yasuhara, K. (2003). Promoting interaction in large classes with computer-mediated feedback. In Computer Support for Collaborative Learning 2003 Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Brand, S. (1995). How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They’re Built. Penguin USA.Google Scholar
- Callon, M. and Law, J. (1989). On the construction of sociotechnical networks: Content and context revisited. Knowledge and Society, pages 57-83.Google Scholar
- Fujimura, J. H. (1995). Ecologies of action: Recombining genes, molecularizing cancer, and transforming biology. In Star, S. L., editor, Ecologies of Knowledge: Work and Politics in Science and Technology, pages 302–346. SUNY Press, Albany.Google Scholar
- Hughes, E. C. (1971). The Sociological Eye. Aldine-Atherton.Google Scholar
- Law, J. and Hassard, J., editors (1999). Actor Network Theory and After. Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Star, S. L., editor (1995). Ecologies of Knowledge: Work and Politics in Science and Technology. SUNY Press, Albany.Google Scholar
- Suchman, L. A. (1987). Plans and Situated Actions: The Problem of Human-Machine Communication. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Truong, T. M., Griswold, W. G., Ratto, M., and Star, S. L. (2002). The ActiveClass Project: Experiments in encouraging classroom participation. Technical Report CS2002-0715, UC San Diego, Department of CSE. http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/wgg/Abstracts/aclass.pdf.