The Activeclass Project: Experiments in Encouraging Classroom Participation
Participation in the classroom has dropped precipitously in recent years. We describe the use of ActiveClass, an application for encouraging in-class participation using personal wireless devices. This system was used in three sections of two different lower division courses in computer programming at UCSD. Using a notion of ecology to develop our method of analysis, these settings provide a rich source of insight into technology-mediated learning and student activity. We find that a broadening of classroom discourse is possible if attention is paid to both political and material forces present in the classroom.
KeywordsClassroom Setting Teaching Assistant Classroom Participation Mobile Wireless Technology Classroom Ecology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anderson, R. J., Anderson, R., VanDeGrift, T., Wolfman, S. A., and Yasuhara, K. (2003). Promoting interaction in large classes with computer-mediated feedback. In Computer Support for Collaborative Learning 2003 Conference, Amsterdam, Netherlands. Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Brand, S. (1995). How Buildings Learn: What Happens After They’re Built. Penguin USA.Google Scholar
- Callon, M. and Law, J. (1989). On the construction of sociotechnical networks: Content and context revisited. Knowledge and Society, pages 57-83.Google Scholar
- Fujimura, J. H. (1995). Ecologies of action: Recombining genes, molecularizing cancer, and transforming biology. In Star, S. L., editor, Ecologies of Knowledge: Work and Politics in Science and Technology, pages 302–346. SUNY Press, Albany.Google Scholar
- Hughes, E. C. (1971). The Sociological Eye. Aldine-Atherton.Google Scholar
- Law, J. and Hassard, J., editors (1999). Actor Network Theory and After. Blackwell.Google Scholar
- Star, S. L., editor (1995). Ecologies of Knowledge: Work and Politics in Science and Technology. SUNY Press, Albany.Google Scholar
- Suchman, L. A. (1987). Plans and Situated Actions: The Problem of Human-Machine Communication. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Truong, T. M., Griswold, W. G., Ratto, M., and Star, S. L. (2002). The ActiveClass Project: Experiments in encouraging classroom participation. Technical Report CS2002-0715, UC San Diego, Department of CSE. http://www.cs.ucsd.edu/users/wgg/Abstracts/aclass.pdf.