Numerical Simulation of 1993 July 12 Tsunami Near Hokkaido; Its Propagation and Flooding onto Aonae District, Okushiri Island
- 98 Downloads
A numerical simulations of the 1993 South-West Off Hokkaido Earthquake tsunami was carried out. The simulated tsunami height distribution along the Hokkaido coast supports a fault model of a westward slip with a steep angle rather than that of an eastward slip with a low angle. The mechanism of tsunami flooding onto Aonae district, Okushiri island, was also made clear by the simulation in which shoaling and refraction due to the shallow area south of the island amplified tsunami height and changed its direction from west to southeast. The flooding simulation indicated that a second tsunami attacked Aonae district from the east after the first wave from the west had attacked the south lowland area of the island.
KeywordsFault Model Tsunami Wave Tsunami Height Tsunami Propagation Steep Angle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banque, J. P., J. A Cunge, J. Feuilla, A Hauguel and F. M. Holly, 1982. New method for tidal current computation, Jour. Hydraulics Div., Proc. ASCE,. 108, No. WW3, 396–417.Google Scholar
- Holly, F. M. and A. Preissmann, 1977. Accurate calculation of transport in two dimensions, Jour. Hydraulics Div., Proc. ASCE, 103, HY11, 1259–1277.Google Scholar
- Hino, M. and E. Nakaza, 1988. Reflection free open boundary conditions for the numerical wave analysis in the horizontally two dimensional problem, Proc. of 35th Japanese Conf. on Coastal Eng., JSCE, pp. 262–266, (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Mansinha, L and D. E. Smylie, 1974. The displacement fields of inclined faults, B.S.S.A.,.61, No. 5, 1433–1440.Google Scholar
- Miyawaki, M., T. Shimamoto, A Tsutsumi, H. Sato and E. Kawamoto, 1993. Tsunami disaster and its causes in the Aonae District, Okushiri-dno caused by the Southwest-off Hokkaido Earthquake, Abstracts of the Autumn Conference of the Seismological Society of Japan, p. 47.Google Scholar
- Yamashita, T., H. Yamanaka, and Y. Tsudniya, 1990. Numerical model for long wave propagation in estuary — Simulation of tidal and wind-induced currants in Tanabe bay, Annuals Disas. Prey. Res. Inst., Kyoto Univ., 34,-2, p. 449–469 (in Japanese).Google Scholar