A Methodological Approach in Communication of the Uncertainty Regarding Major Accident Hazards
- 55 Downloads
Italian experience of risk management with reference to major accident hazards outlines the necessity to propose a wider approach to communication initiatives regarding risks perceived not controllable by individuals characterized by catastrophic consequences and by a high uncertainty in the occurrence. In order to cope with these difficulties that can nullify the efficacy of communication messages, we propose a management strategy aimed at promoting trustworthy relationships between populations and managers of risks without disregarding the information aspects of risk communication.
KeywordsRisk Communication Communication Message Probabilistic Risk Assessment Technological Risk Technical Concept
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zapponi, G.A., Marsili, G., and Vollono, C. (1992) Factors which influence public reaction to environmental risk: Some past experiences in Italy, in WHO-ERAU Research Report No. 11, University of East Anglia, Norwich.Google Scholar
- 3.Vollono, C. and Marsili, G. (1992) A methodological approach to risk communication on major chemical hazards, paper presented at the SRA Annual Meeting, 6–9 December, San Diego, CA.Google Scholar
- 4.Vollono, C., Marsili, G., and Zapponi, G.A. (1993) An Italian experience on risk communication of major chemical hazards, in European Technology and Experience in Safety Analysis and Risk Management, Proceedings of the SRA Europe—Fourth Conference, Rome (18–20 October).Google Scholar
- 5.Vollono, C. and Marsili, G. (1993) The role of uncertainty in risk communication regarding major chemical hazards, paper presented at the SRA Annual Meeting, 5–8 December, Savannah, GA.Google Scholar
- 6.Covello, V.T. (1991) Risk comparisons and risk communication: Issues and problems comparing health and environmental risks, in R.E. Kasperson and P.J.M. Stallen (eds.), Communicating Risks to the Public, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.Google Scholar