Toward a Chronology Standard for Project CRER
- 47 Downloads
To develop global-scale historical records of the Cretaceous requires reliable and refined systems of chronology and correlation. To produce the needed systems, Coordinating Committee 1 proposes a two-phase program. The short-term objective is to provide an initial chronological standard that will combine revisions of the existing chronologies with new data of all kinds: biostratigraphic, magnetostratigraphic, radiometric, and event stratigraphic. The longer-term objective is to construct a high-resolution chronology that is capable of dating to less than 100 Kyr. Cyclostratigraphy (de Boer and Fischer, this volume) and graphic correlation are promising new avenues to achieve the needed high-resolution. In addition, the use of lineage evolution can increase the resolution of biostratigraphy and sequence and event stratigraphy can also make significant contributions to a refined chronology.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Birkelund, T., Hancock, J.M. Hart, M.B., Rawson, P.F., Remane, J., Robaszynski, F., Schmid, F., and Surlyk, F., 1984, Cretaceous stage boundaries - proposals. Bull, Geol. Soc. Denmark, 33, 1–20.Google Scholar
- Edwards, L.E., 1984, Insights on why graphic correlation (Shaw’s method) works. Jour. Geol., 92, 583–597.Google Scholar
- Hart, M.B., 1987, Micropaleontology of Carbonate Environments, Halsted Press, 296 p.Google Scholar
- Harland, W.B., 1982, A geologic time scale. Cambridge, England, and New York: Cambridge University Press, pp 1–131.Google Scholar
- Hazel, J.E., 1989 (in press)Google Scholar
- Kauffman, E.G., 1970, Population systematics, radiometrics, and zonation–A new biostratigraphy. Proc.,N. American Paleont. Cony. I, pt. F, 612–666.Google Scholar
- Kauffman, E.G., 1988, Concepts and methods of high-resolution event stratigraphy. Ann. Rev. Earth, Planet. Sci., 16, 605–654.Google Scholar
- Miller, F.X. 1977, The graphic correlation method in biostratigraphy. In Kauffman, E.G., and Hazel J.E. (eds.), Concepts and methods of biostratigraphy; Stoudsburg, PA, Dowden, Hutchinson, and Ross Pub., 187–212.Google Scholar
- Shaw, A.B. 1964. Time Stratigraphy. McGraw-Hill Co. New York, 365 p.Google Scholar