Dialysis and transplantation in the United States and the impact of continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis (CAPD)
In 1972, the Social Security Act was amended to authorize funding for the treatment of end-stage renal disease under Medicare. At that time about 40 patients per million population were receiving longterm haemodialysis treatment and 40% of dialysis treatments were home-based (Relman, 1980). Now, a decade later, patients on dialysis treatment in the United States exceed 250 per million population. Less than 15% are dialysed at home (End-stage Renal Disease, 1980; Quarterly Statistical Summary,1981; The Kidney Dialysis Industry, 1981).
KeywordsESRD Patient Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis Chronic Dialysis Centre Dialysis Dialysis Population
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- End-Stage Renal Disease: Pathophysiology, Dialysis and Transplantation. (1981). National Center for Health Care Technology, Monograph Series. US Department of Health and Human ServicesGoogle Scholar
- End-Stage Renal Disease, Second Annual Report to Congress, FY 1980, by Department of Health and Human Services, Health Care Financing Administration, Baltimore, MD (1981)Google Scholar
- Missouri Kidney Program Annual Report. July 1, 1980 to June 30, 1981. (1982).Google Scholar
- Rikli, E., Coordinator, University of Missouri-Columbia, Columbia, MO 65201. Nolph, K. D. (1981a). Continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, Editorial Review, Am. J. Nephrol., 1, 1Google Scholar
- Nolph, K.D. (1981b). Principal investigator, the National Registry pilot study group: the National Registry of CAPD patients. Dial. Transpl., 10, 744Google Scholar
- Quarterly Statistical Summary (1981). By the Office of End-Stage Renal Disease, Health Care Financing Administration, Office of Special Programs, Baltimore, MDGoogle Scholar
- Rikli, A. E., Kappel, D. F. and Austin, D. (1982). Change in survival of ESRD patients treated during the past 15 years. (in press)Google Scholar
- The Kidney Dialysis Industry, Bernstein Research (1981). C. Bernstein & Co., Inc., Member, New York Stock Exchange, New York, NYGoogle Scholar