Nucleons and Nuclear Forces
Part of the Fundamental Theories of Physics book series (FTPH, volume 84)
- 536 Downloads
Main characteristics of nuclei. Atomic nuclei are characterized by definite masses and electric charges. The charge of an atomic nucleus q is equal to minus the multiple of the absolute value of the electron charge -e, i.e.,
The integer Z determines the position of the atom in the periodic table, it is called the atomic number. Nuclei with the same charge but different masses are called isotopes. Taking 12 to be the mass of the most abundant carbon isotope, one finds all the nuclear masses to be nearly integers. The integer A that is the closest to the mass value is referred to as the mass number of the nucleus.
$$q = Ze.$$
KeywordsElastic Scattering Singlet State Total Angular Momentum Nuclear Interaction Nuclear Force
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bethe, H.A. (1947) Elementary Nuclear Theory (Chap.2), Wiley, N.Y.Google Scholar
- Fermi, E. (1936) Ricerca Sei., 7, p. 13 (in Collected Papers of Enrico Fermi, Chicago University Press, 1962).Google Scholar
- Hulthén, L. and Sugawara, M. (1957) “The two-nucleon problem”, Encyclopaedia of Physics (ed. S. Flügge), Vol.39, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Landau, L.D. and Smorodinskii, Ya.A. (1944) Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 14,p. 269, (translation in the Collected Papers of L.D.Landau,Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1965).Google Scholar
- Landau, L.D. and Smorodinskii, Ya.A. (1955) Lectures on Nuclear Theory, Gostekhteorizdat, Moscow (translation published by Plenum Press, N.Y., 1959).Google Scholar
- Macleidt, R. e.a. (1989) Nucl. Phys., 19, p. 189.Google Scholar
- Puzikov, L., Ryndin, R. and Smorodinskii, Ya. (1957) Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz., 32, p. 592, [(1957) Sov. Phys. - JETP, 5, p. 489].Google Scholar
- Schwinger, J. (1947) Phys. Rev., 72, p. 742.Google Scholar
- Smorodinskii, Ya.A. (1952) Lectures at the Conference of Yugoslav Physicists, Lošinj Island.Google Scholar
- Wilson, R. (1963) The Nucleon-nucleon Interaction, Wiley, N.Y.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 1997