Inter-Commission Working Group on the Prevention of Interplanetary Pollution
At the 1988 Baltimore General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union, members of several Commissions dealing with planetary science expressed deep concern that no work was being undertaken to identify and avoid pollution problems in interplanetary space beyond the Moon. At that time NASA had convened a conference on problems in cislunar space due to the large and growing numbers of orbiting fragments hazardous to space vehicles. In translunar space this is hardly a problem. However an alarming number of future interplanetary mission proposals were considered for other reasons to be potentially harmful to various solar system bodies and interplanetary space itself.
KeywordsSolar System Celestial Body Interplanetary Space Giant Planet Cometary Nucleus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aerospace Medicine Advisory Committee, 1992. Strategic Considerations for Support of Humans in Space and Moon/Mars Exploration Missions (Vols 1 and 2), NASA Advisory Council, Washington DC.Google Scholar
- Simpson, J A (ed), 1994. Preservation of Near-Earth Space for Future Generations, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.Google Scholar
- Dermott, S.F., K. Grogan, B.A.S. Gustafson, S. Jayaraman, S.J. Kortenkamp, and Y.-L. Xu, 1996a. In “Physics, Chemistry, and Dynamics of Interplanetary Dust”, (B.A.S. Gustafson and M.S. Hanner, eds.), ASP Conference Series, 104, 143.Google Scholar
- Dermott, S.F., S. Jayaraman, Y.-L. Xu, K. Grogan and B.A.S. Gustafson, 1996b. In “Unveiling the Cosmic Infrared Background” (E. Dwek, ed), AIP Conference Proceedings, Woodbury, New York, 438, 25–36.Google Scholar
- Hauser, M.G., 1996. In “Physics, Chemistry, and Dynamics of Interplanetary Dust”, (B.A.S. Gustafson and M.S. Hanner, eds.), ASP Conference Series, 104, 309.Google Scholar
- Levasseur-Regourd A.-C., 1996. In “Physics, Chemistry, and Dynamics of Interplanetary Dust”, (B.A.S. Gustafson and M.S. Hanner, eds.), ASP Conference Series, 104, 301.Google Scholar
- Canavan, G.H., Solem, J.C. and Rather, J.D.G. (eds.), 1993, Proceedings of the Near-Earth-Object Interception Workshop, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, LA-12476-C.Google Scholar
- Gehreis, T. (ed.), Hazards due to Comets and Asteroids, University of Arizona Press, Tucson, 1994.Google Scholar
- Willoughby, A.J., McGuire, M.L., Borowski, S.K. and Howe, S.D., 1994, In Gehrels, loc Cit., 1073–1088.Google Scholar