Metamorphism of Solar System Ices
This chapter reviews the metamorphic processes of grain growth and densification as they apply to solar system ices. These processes are driven by the thermodynamic constraint of minimum surface energy and their kinetic equations have been studied extensively by material scientists. The application of these equations to solar system ices requires the knowledge of the relevant material parameters. This chapter presents the equations and describes techniques used in compaction experiments. Ice metamorphism explains several observations about various solar system objects and is likely to have played an important role in their internal evolution.
KeywordsSurface Source Giant Planet Cometary Nucleus Lunar Planet Boundary Source
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ashby, M.F. (1988) Background Reading: Hot Isostatic Pressing and Sintering. University of Cambridge, Engineering Department, Cambridge, England.Google Scholar
- Ashby, M.F. (1990) Background Reading: Hot Isostatic Pressing 6.0. University of Cambridge, Engineering Department, Cambridge, England.Google Scholar
- Coucoulas, A. and Gregory, E. (1963) Some observations on the microstructure and fragmentation of solid carbon dioxide. Trans. Metall. Soc. AIME, 227, pp. 1134–1142.Google Scholar
- Eluszkiewicz, J. and Leliwa-Kopystyński, J. (1988) A model of the porous structure of icy satellites. In Proceedings of the Eighteenth Lunar and Planetary Conference, Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, pp. 741–747.Google Scholar
- Grün, E. and coauthors (1991) Laboratory simulation of cometary processes: Results from first KOSI experiments. In Comets in the Post-Halley Era, Vol. 1 (Eds: R.L. Newburn, M. Neugebauer, and J. Rahe), Kluwer, Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Kossacki, K.J., Kömle, N.I., Leliwa-Kopystyński, J. and Kargl, G. (1997) Laboratory investigation of the evolution of cometary analogs: Results and interpretation. Icarus, (in press).Google Scholar
- Smith, B.A., Soderblom, L., Batson, R., Bridges, P., Inge, J., Masursky, H., Shoemaker, E., Beebe, R., Boyce, J., Briggs, G., Bunker, A., Collins, S.A., Hansen, C.J., Johnson, T.V., Mitchell, J.L., Terrile, R.J., Cook II, A.F., Cuzzi, J., Pollack, J.B., Danielson, G.E., Ingersoll, A.P., Davies, M.E., Hunt, G.E., Morrison, D., Owen, T., Sagan, C, Veverka, J., Strom, R. and Suomi, V.E. (1982) A new look at the Saturn system: The Voyager 2 images. Science, 215, pp. 504–537.ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stevenson, D. J. (1992) Interior of Titan. In Proceedings Symposium on Titan. Eur. Space Agency Spec. Pub. SP-338, pp. 29–33.Google Scholar