COX-2 in brain and retina: role in neuronal survival
Various forms of injury to the central nervous system, such as in neurodegenerative diseases, sets in motion an inflammatory-like response. The messengers that accumulate are normal modulators of functions; however, above certain concentrations they trigger neuronal damage. The significance of these early warning events has recently been highlighted by the observation that patients receiving chronic treatments with certain anti-inflammatory drugs develop less severe symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease. Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and platelet-activating factor (PAF), mediators of the inflammatory response, may thus play a role in Alzheimer’s Disease and in other neurodegenerative diseases.
KeywordsGlutamate Release Kainic Acid Bioactive Lipid Kainic Acid Injection Lipid Messenger
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Dennis EA. Diversity of group types, regulation and function of phospholipase A2. J Biol Chera 1994; 269: 13057–13060.Google Scholar
- 13.Bazan NG, Botting J, Vane JR (Eds.) New Targets in Inflammation: Inhibitors of COX-2 or Adhesion Molecules. London: William Harvey Press, and Lancaster: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.Mukherjee PK, DeCoster MA, Davis RJ, Bazan NG. Differential activation of p38, JNK, and mitogen-activated protein kinases (MAPKs) by platelet-activating factor (PAF), glutamate (GLU), and kainate (KA) in primary hippocampal neurons. Experimental Biology, New Orleans, LA, April 6–9, 1997.Google Scholar
- 15.Lukiw WJ, Gordon WC, Bazan NG. Levels of transcription factor AP1, AP2, SP1, GAS-, NFKB-and TFIID-DNA binding during rat retinal neovascularization. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1997;38(Suppl.):S611.Google Scholar
- 18.Bazan NG, Doucet JP Platelet-activating factor and intracellular signaling pathways that modulate gene expression. In: Shukla S, (ed.) Platelet-Activating Factor Receptors: Signal Mechanisms and Molecular Biology, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 1993: 137–146.Google Scholar
- 19.Doucet JP, Bazan NG. A neural primary genomic response to the lipid mediator plateletactivating factor. In R Massarelli, LA Horrocks, JN Kanfer, R Loffelholz, (eds). Phospholipids and Signal Transmission vol 70. Berlin-Heidelberg, Springer Verlag. 1993: 411–426.Google Scholar
- 22.Collaco-Moraes Y, Aspey B, Harrison M, de Belleroche J: Cyclo-oxygenase-2 messenger RNA induction in focal cerebral ischemia. J Cerebr Blood Flow Metab. 1996; 16: 1366–1372.Google Scholar
- 23.Lukiw WJ, Bazan NG. Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) RNA message stability in Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) neocortex. Society for Neuroscience, New Orleans, LA, October 25–30, 1997.Google Scholar