Bifurcations and Instabilities in Some Finite Dimensional Frictional Contact Problems
the occurrence of bifurcations in quasi-static paths; this is a stiffness and friction induced phenomenon of non-uniqueness of quasi-static solutions;
the initiation of dynamic solutions at equilibrium positions, with no initial perturbations, but with initial acceleration and reaction discontinuities; this is a mass and friction induced phenomenon of non-uniqueness of dynamic solutions;
the existence of smooth non-oscillatory growing dynamic solutions with perturbed initial conditions arbitrarily close to equilibrium configurations, i.e. the divergence instability of equilibrium states;
the existence of non-oscillatory or oscillatory growing dynamic solutions with perturbed initial conditions arbitrarily close to portions of quasi-static paths;
the occurrence of non-oscillatory (divergence) or oscillatory (flutter) instabilities of steady sliding equilibrium states.
KeywordsContact Force Contact Problem Linear Complementarity Problem Coulomb Friction Frictional Contact
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Klarbring, A., (1997) Contact, friction, discrete mechanical structures and mathematical programming, Lecture notes for the CISM course Contact Problems: Theory, Methods, Applications.Google Scholar
- Klarbring, A., (1997) Steady Sliding and Linear Complementarity, in Complementarity and Variational problems, Ferris-Pang (eds), SIAM publ., Philadelphia, pp. 132–147.Google Scholar
- Martins, J.A.C. and Pinto da Costa, A., (1998) Stability of finite dimensional systems with unilateral contact and friction: non-linear elastic behaviour and obstacle curvature, Relatorio ICIST AI no. 9/98.Google Scholar
- Martins, J.A.C. and Pinto da Costa, A., (1998) Dynamic stability of frictional contact systems: complementarity formulations, International Symposium on Impact and Friction of Solids, Structures and Intelligent Machines: Theory and Applications in Engineering and Science, Ottawa, June 1998.Google Scholar
- Martins, J.A.C, Barbarin, S., Raous, M. and Pinto da Costa, A. (to appear) Dynamic Stability of Finite Dimensional Linearly Elastic Systems with Unilateral Contact and Coulomb Friction, Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engng..Google Scholar
- Vola, D., Pratt, E., Jean, M., and Raous, M., (to appear) Consistent Time Discretization for a Dynamic Frictional Contact Problem and Complementarity Techniques, Revue Européenne des Eléments Finis.Google Scholar
- Zeghloul, T., and Villechaise, B., 1996, Stress waves in a sliding contact. Part 1: experimental study, in Proceedings of the 22nd Leeds Lyon Symposium on Tribology, Dowson et al. (eds.), Elsevier Science, pp. 33–37.Google Scholar