Determination of Optimum Tilt Angle of Panels in Large Scale Photovoltaic Arrays
To determine the optimum tilt angle of panels in large scale flat-plate photovoltaic arrays both theoretical and experimental activities have been carried out. A theoretical method to determine the solar radiation collected by PV arrays which considers meteorological data, module glass reflectivity and array type (single or multiple rows) was used. This method has been implemented as compared with others in order to consider the accumulation of atmospheric pollution on panels. An experimental activity consisting of measurements of glass reflectivity and atmospheric pollution accumulation on pariels have been carried out in Conphoebus test facilities. One year data of continuous operation of 4 flat-plate arrays, south-facing and differently tilted, in ENEL’s PV test field at Adrano have been used to analyze the accuracy of the method. Using this method the determination of solar radiation collected by a large scale PV array sited in Southern Italy has been made and relevant indications according to the optimal tilt angle of the array have been given.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /1/.B. Y. Liu and R. C. Jordan — The interrelationship and characteristic distribution of direct, diffuse and total solar radiation — Solar Energy, Vol. 4, 1960Google Scholar
- /2/.J. K. Page — The estimation of monthly mean values of daily total short wave radiation on vertical and inclined surfaces from sunshine records for latitudes 40° N – 40° S — Conference on new sources of Energy, Rome 1961Google Scholar
- /3/.S. A. Klein — Calculation of monthly average insolation on tilted surfaces — Solar Energy, Vol. 19, 1977Google Scholar
- /4/.T. M. Klucher — Evaluation of models to predict insolation on tilted surfaces — Solar Energy, Vol. 23, 1979Google Scholar
- /5/.J. K. Page and R. J. Flynn — The development of a meteorologically validated model for the prediction of inclined surface irradiation for the EEC area — Solar World Forum, International Solar Energy Society Conference, Brighton, 1981Google Scholar
- /6/.F. P. Califano, V. Silvestrini, G. Vitale — La progettazione di sistemi fotovoltaici — Liguori Editore, 1988Google Scholar
- /7/.A. Iliceto — The Adrano project — International journal of Solar Energy, Vol. 3, 1985Google Scholar
- /8/.CNR — Dati climatici per la progettazione edile ed impiantistica — PFE February 1982Google Scholar