Signatures of Inhomogeneity in the Early Universe
We have made a systematic study of the production of elemental CNO in inhomogeneous nucleosynthesis, investigating a much larger region of parameter space than previously studied. We have determined abundances of CNO elements and ascertained the main channels to their production. We have focussed in particular on the role played by the 7Li(n, γ)8Li(α,n)11B(n, γ)12B(β - v)12C reaction sequence: in models with Ωb = 1, we show that this sequence provides the main channel to CNO element production of which there is a significant amount; for lower values of Ωb there is competition from 7Li(α, γ)11B but here there is a concurrent decline in CNO production. From these determinations, CNO element production emerges as a distinct signature of an Ωb = 1 inhomogeneous universe. Beyond 12C, a series of neutron captures is thought to lead to the production of 14C. We have studied the branching at 14C and have deduced the importance of the 14C(d, n)15N reaction which may be the dominant channel for the production of heavier elements.
KeywordsDensity Contrast Baryon Density Destruction Rate Neutron Diffusion Primordial Abundance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fuller, G. M., Mathews, G. J., and Alcock, C. R. 1988, in Dark Matter, Proc. XXIIIrd Rencontre de Moriond, ed. J. Audouze and J. Tran Thanh Van ( Gif-sur-Yvette: Editions Frontières ), p. 303.Google Scholar
- Kajino, T., Mathews, G. J., and Fuller, G. M. 1989, in Heavy Ion Physics and Astrophysical Problems, ed. S. Kubono ( Singapore: World Scientific ), p. 51.Google Scholar
- Kajino, T., Mathews, G. J., and Fuller, G. M. 1990, Ap. J., (submitted).Google Scholar
- Kurki-Sounio, H., Matzner, R. A., Olive, K. A., and Schramm, D. N. 1989, Ap. J., 353, 406. Malaney, R. A. 1986, Mon. Not. R. Astro. Soc., 223, 683.Google Scholar
- Malaney, R. A. and Fowler, W. A. 1987, in The Origin and Distribution of the Elements, ed. G. J. Mathews (Singapore: World Scientific ), p. 76.Google Scholar
- Mathews, G. J., Fuller, G. M., Alcock, C. R., and Kajino, T. 1988, in Dark Matter, Proc. XXIIIrd Rencontre de Moriond, ed. J. Audouze and J. Tran Thanh Van ( Gif-sur-Yvette: Editions Frontières ), p. 319Google Scholar
- Paradellis, T., Kossionides, S., Doukellis, G., Aslanoglou, X., Assimakopoulos, P., Pakou, A., Rolfs, C., and Langanke, K. 1990, Z. Phys. A, in press.Google Scholar
- Terasawa, N., and Sato, K. 1990, Ap. J., in press.Google Scholar
- Wiescher, M., Görres, J., and Thielemann, F. K. 1990, Ap. J., in press.Google Scholar