Oxygen exchange between blood and tissue in the myocardium
Oxygen transport to the myocytes has been recognized as a factor of utmost importance to cardiac metabolism and control of blood flow for many decades. On a macroscopic scale, the problem seems simple since supply and demand are normally matched, as discussed in Chapter 9. However, as discussed in Chapters 1 and 3, both flow and oxygen pressures may vary widely in the myocardium at the microscopic level and in tissue units of milligrams and grams.
KeywordsOxygen Consumption Oxygen Pressure Oxygen Transfer Capillary Wall Oxygen Exchange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boag JW (1969) Oxygen diffusion and oxygen depletion problems in radiobiology. Curr. Top. Radiat. Res. 5: 141–195.Google Scholar
- Gayeski TEJ (1981) A cryogenic cryospectrophotometric method for measuring myoglobin saturation in subcellular volume; application to resting dog gracilis muscle. Thesis, Dept. of Physiology University of Rochester. Rochester, NY., University microfilms international, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, nr. 8224720, 1986: 303.Google Scholar
- Kreuzer F, Hoofd LJC (1987) Facilitated diffusion of oxygen and carbon dioxide. In: Handbook of Physiology. The respiratory system IV, Gas exchange. Eds: Fahri LE and Tenney SM. Am. Physiol. Soc, Bethesda, 3 chapter 6: 89–111.Google Scholar
- Krogh A (1930) The anatomy and physiology of capillaries. Yale University Press, New Haven. Mrs Hepsa Ely Silliman Memorial Lectures.Google Scholar
- Millikan GA (1937) Experiments in muscle haemoglobin in vivo; the instantaneous measurement of muscle metabolism. Proc. Roy. Soc. B: 123–218.Google Scholar
- Popel AS (1980) Mathematical modeling of convective and diffusive transport in the microcirculation. In: Mathematics of microcirculation phenomena. Eds: Gross JF, Popel AS. Raven Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Popel AS (1989) Theory of oxygen transport to tissue. Crit. Rev. Biomed. Eng. 17: 257–321.Google Scholar
- Ruiter JH, Spaan JAE, Laird JD (1977) Transient oxygen uptake during myocardial reactive hyperemia in the dog. Am. J. Physiol. 232 (Heart Circ. Physiol. 1): H437–H440.Google Scholar
- Segal A (1981) AFEP user manual. Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Wieringa PA (1985) The influence of the coronary capillary on the distribution and control of local blood flow. PhD Thesis. Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands (ISBN 90-9001042).Google Scholar