Over the years much research has been directed towards exploring the potential of radar as an instrument for estimating rain. It is shown that with the present reflectivity measuring radar, even in an Alpine country, good qualitative and in certain conditions also quantitative information may be obtained. In other words, we would need an extremely dense and costly network of gauges to obtain similar spatial, temporal and intensity resolution as easily attainable with radar. During COST-73 various questions, related to the quality of radar data were discussed in plenum, working groups and elsewhere and will be summarized below.
KeywordsRain Rate Radar Data Radar Reflectivity Weather Radar Ground Clutter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Collier, C.G. 1989: Applications of weather radar systems. A Guide to users of radar data in meteorology and hydrology. Ellis Horwood Limited Publisher, Chinchester. Pp 294.Google Scholar
- Josefsson L. 1991: Phased array antenna technology for weather radar application. Ericsson Radar Electronics, Möndal, Sweden, this conference.Google Scholar
- Joss, J. and A. Waldvogel, 1990: Precipitation measurements and Hydrology, a Review. ‘Radar in Meteorology’ (David Atlas Editor), American Meteorological Society, Boston Mass, in Press, pp 577–606.Google Scholar
- Joss, J. and H. Wessels, 1990: Ground clutter suppression for weather radar data. COST 73 /WD/130.Google Scholar
- Joss, J. 1990: Points in favour of an electronically scanned antenna for weather radar. COST 73 /WD/157.Google Scholar
- Joss, J. 1990: Calibration of radar equipment and adjustment of radar data, questions related to sampling and averaging of radar data. COST 73 /WD/171.Google Scholar
- Joss, J., and C.G. Collier, 1991: An electronically scanned antenna for weather radar. 25th International Conference on Radar Meteorology June 24–28 1991, Paris.Google Scholar
- Joss, J., and A. Pittini, 1991: The climatology of vertical profiles of radar reflectivity to improve estimates of precipitation. 25th International Conference on Radar Meteorology June 24–28 1991, Paris.Google Scholar
- Rosa Dias, Manuel P. and S. Barbosa, 1990: Assignment of intensity class intervals in the digital processing of reflectivity weather radar signals. Working paper COST 73/WD/176.Google Scholar
- Vezzani, G., 1990a: Electronically scanned antenna for C-Band weather radar: Feasibility, effort evaluation, and impact on Radar. COST 73/WD/150.Google Scholar
- Vezzani, G., 1990b: Scanning time reduction in weather radars by means of stepped-frequency transmit waveforms. COST 73/WD/174.Google Scholar