The Recommendation of the COST-73 Project: A Way Ahead for Weather Radar in Europe
Since late 1986 the Management Committee of the Commission of the European Communities (CEC) COST-73 Weather Radar Networking Project has supervized a programme of research spanning all aspects of weather radar networking. This work has provided a foundation upon which weather radar can be developed in Europe during the next decade. In this paper we discuss the recommendations of the COST-73 Project, highlighting possible ways in which the CEC (European) National Meteorological Services, academia and European radar industry might move forward in the general field of radar meteorology.
KeywordsRadar System Radar Data Cost Project Doppler Radar Weather Radar
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- (1).Bulman, P.J, and Browning, K.A. (1971): Report, National Weather Radar Network, Royal Radar Establishment, Malvern, 17pp.Google Scholar
- (2).CEC., (1991): Commission of the European Communities, COST-73 Final Report, Brussels, Belguim.Google Scholar
- (3).Dombai, F., Kapovits, A, and Illes, L, (1990): “Attempts in Hungary for automation of weather radar observations,” Seminar on COST Project 73, Weather Radar Networking, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, editors C.E. Collier and M. Chapuis, 101–110.Google Scholar
- (4).Golden, J.H. (1990): “The prospects and promise of NEXRAD: 1990’s and beyond” Seminar on COST Project 73, Weather Radar Networking, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, editors C.G. Collier and M. Chapuis, 26–45Google Scholar
- (5).Greene, D.R., Nilsen, J.D., Saffle, R.E., Holmes, D.W., Hudlow, M.D, and Ahnert, P.R., (1983): “RADAP II, An interim radar data processor”, Preprint Volume, 21st Conf. on Radar Met., Edmonton, Alberta, 19–23 Sept., Am. Met Soc, Boston, 404–408.Google Scholar
- (7).Lietava, L., Nemec, J. and Podharsky, D. (1990): “Unifed Meteorological radar network of CSSR and Central Meteorological Subsystem,” Seminar on COST Project 73, Weather Radar Networking, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, editors C.E. Collier, and M Chapuis, 96–79.Google Scholar
- (8).Petrov, R., Stoyanov, D., Savchenko, A., and Mladenov, L. (1990): “A Doppler appliance to MRL-S”, Seminar on COST Project 73, Weather Radar Networking, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, editors C.G Collier, and M. Chapuis, 286–291.Google Scholar
- (10).Saffle, R.E., (1976): “D/RADEX products and field operation”, Preprint Volume, 17th Conf. on Radar Meteorology, Seattle, Washington 26–29 Oct., AMS, Boston, 555–559.Google Scholar
- (11).Shreeve, K.H., (1980): “RADAP”, Preprint Volume., 19th Conf. on Radar Meteorology, Miami Beach, AMS, Boston, 76–79.Google Scholar
- (12).Sorani, R., (1991): This Volume.Google Scholar
- (13).Tatehira, R., Hitsuma, M, and Makino, Y. (1982): “The mesoscale observational network in Japan”, Chapter 1.4 in Nowcasting edited by K.A Browning, Academic Press, London, 37–45.Google Scholar
- (15).Yoshino, F., Ichimiya, K., Kanbayashi, Y., Yamaguchi, T., and Shirakawa, N., (1990): “Overview of radar networking by MOC, Japan and its data dissemination system (FRICS),” Seminar on COST Project 73, Weather Radar Networking, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, editors C.G Collier and M. Chapuis, 126–135.Google Scholar