A Preliminary Analysis of the Hydrological Utilisation of the ‘Frontiers’ System
This paper briefly outlines the operational aspects of the FRONTIERS system for very-short-range precipitation forecasting, and its use for the development of hydrological models. Also detailed is a case study of the use of FRONTIERS instantaneous precipitation forecasts as input to a number of hydrological models calibrated with FRONTIERS Actuals for catchments in the North West of England. Results show that the FRONTIERS data is of vital importance for hydrological modelling.
KeywordsRadar Data Flood Forecast Precipitation Forecast Average Root Mean Square Error Flow Forecast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Browning K.A. (1979) The FRONTIERS Plan: a strategy for using radar and satellite imagery for very-short-range precipitation forecasting. Meteorological Magazine, 108 pp32–42.Google Scholar
- Chatterton J.B., Pirt J. and Wood T.R. (1979) The Benefits of Flood Forecasting. Journal of the Institute of Water Engineers and Scientists, Vol. 33, pp237–251Google Scholar
- Cluckie I.D. and Smith F.J.B. (1980) Flood Forecasting Project for Wessex Water Authority (Avon and Dorset Division), Final Report Vol.1.Google Scholar
- Cluckie I.D. and Owens M.D. (1987) Real Time Rainfall-Runoff Models and Use of Weather Radar Information. In Weather Radar and Flood Forecasting. Ed. V.K. Collinge and C. Kirby, Publ. J. Wiley and Sons.Google Scholar
- Harpin R. (1982) Real Time Flood Forecasting With Particular Emphasis on Linear Methods and Recursive Estimation Techniques. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, University of Birmingham.Google Scholar
- Meteorological Office (1990) Weather Log. Weather. Vol. 45. No. 3.Google Scholar
- Owens M.D. (1986) Real Time Flow Forecasting Using Weather Radar. Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, University of Birmingham.Google Scholar
- Tilford K. (1987) Real Time Flood Forecasting Using Low Intensity Radar Data. Unpublished M.Sc. Thesis, University of Birmingham.Google Scholar
- Tilford K. and Cluckie I.D. (1990) The Hydrological Utilisation of Weather Radar Data in the U.K. Preprints of the Workshop on the Remote Sensing of Precipitation with Hydrological Applications. 5–7 March, University of Sao Paulo. Brazil.Google Scholar
- Yu P.S. (1987). Real time Flood Forecasting Using Weather Radar Data. Unpublished M. Phil. Thesis, University of Birmingham.Google Scholar