Forecasting and Weather Modification Uses of Radar Data
In the last decade or two radar data became an important part of meteorological observing systems offering additional independent information on the state of the atmosphere. The use of these data in numerical models of the atmosphere for synoptic scale forecasting is not yet operational but it is supposed that each good quality data source could improve the skill of the forecasts. In Europe there are some operational systems for nowcasting and very short range forecasting which use radar data as indispensable part of the systems. As the hypothesis of almost all weather modification projects is to influence microphysical processes in clouds, radars are also in these projecta a basic tool for detection of the appropriate clouds, for the choice of actions to be performed and for the inspection of the eventual efficiency of the activity.
KeywordsRadar Data Radar Reflectivity Weather Radar Limited Area Model Short Range Forecast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adrinek, R., 1984: Computer and radar center Lisca - technical description of the software for meteorological radar observation and for hail supression activites (in Slovene). Ljubljana, Iskra Delta, 56 pp.Google Scholar
- Arpe, K, 1990: Impacts of changes in the ECMWF analysis-forecasting scheme on the systematic error of the model, in: Ten years of medium-range weather forecasting Seminar 4–8 Sept. 1989 proceedings. Vol. 1., Bracknell, ECMWF, 251 pp.Google Scholar
- Collier, C.G., 1989: Applications of weather radar systems. A guide to uses of radar data in meteorology and hydrology. Chichester, Ellis Horwood Ltd Publishers, 294 pp. Google Scholar
- Dahlstroem, B., 1988: Annual report 1986–87. SHMI Promis Raports 7, Norkoepping, SHMI, 2 5 pp. Google Scholar
- Lipschutz, R.C., et al., 1986: An operational ZDR-based precipitation type/intensity product. 2 3 rd Conference on radar meteorology, Snowmass (Colo.), Boston, AMS.Google Scholar
- Newcomb, P.D., et al., 1991: Development of the FRONTIERS precipitation nowcasting system to use mesoscale model products, (this seminar). Google Scholar
- WMO, 1986: Information concerning weather modification directed to government decision-makers. Geneva, WMO, 14 ppGoogle Scholar